Chapter 3

I sat on the couch, reading some magazine. I grab the Vogue magazine and the cover has a picture of a fitness instructor, Cassey Ho. I flip it to the first page. The first page of most fashion magazine will present the style of the cover girl. Like Cassey Ho's style, it's pretty awesome. But the picture is not very good. I mean, the angle of the photographer take, the lightning is too exposed. Damn. The magazine editor should really find a new photographer.

Suddenly I heard mother walking towards me and sit on the couch in front of me.

"You know, ma, you should really find a new photographer. This ones sucks."

I handed her the Vogue magazine. She reach it and flip to the first page. Her eyebrows raised. Looking at her eyebrows, I can't help it but too look at her eyes. It was sore. She has no dark circle under it. Was she crying?

"I know. But this is the best we can find. Photographing is not easy. It needs passion. But the other photographer I know, doesn't need any passion. She can take pictures like solving simple mathematics. Easy."

Oh boy. I know where this is going. Let's face the truth. I was a photographer at the Vogue magazine. For 2 years I worked there. I took a lot of pictures of celebrity, models and lot more. But then I quit. Why? Like I said. I do not find any passion in it. Well actually, no. I lied. I love photographing. But the last model I took picture of, he kinda asked me out. Nathan Aldridge. So I kinda dated him for 3 weeks then we broke up. We had some complications. So in order to calm myself, because every single time I held the camera, I can't focus. All I think was Nathan. Maybe I only dated him for three weeks but Nathan's was the first. The first I ever dated. Karlie said that I'm in love. Hahaha funny. I don't think so.

"Honey? You kinda zoned out there." Mother snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Huh? What were you saying, ma?" I give her a smile. Try to hide what's on my mind. Mother just stare into my eyes. She knows what I was thinking. She knew about Nathan. Right now, I think she knows the real reason why I quit photographing.

"You know you can't hide anything from me honey. I know the real reason you quit. I saw your DSLR camera in your room the other day. You kinda delete all pictures in it. Except,.."

I look at her. Oh my god. She found out. Tears started streaming in my eyes. It's not that I want to hide it from her, it's just, she had enough. When dad died, mother worked harder. The fact that dad left us with nothing but thus house, mother worked harder than ever. Sometimes I caught her crying. I bet she miss dad a lot. Dad didn't spent his most time with us. Well, he's a reporter. He must be busy.

"Honey? You zoned out again."

"Yeah ma? Sorry. I was just--"

"You wanna talk about it? You kept Nathan's pictures honey. If that what's holding you back from doing what you want, honey, it's not worth it. You never tell me what happened between you two."

My tears fall down. I can't hold it anymore. Mother sit besides me and pull my face to her chest. I let go. I cried to her.

"Shh, let it go, honey. It's not worth it."

*************

I'm preparing dinner. Just some simple lasagna.

"Ma? Dinner's ready."

Mother enter the dining. She take a sit. I sit infront of her. I pour some water into our glasses. We don't drink. Especially me. I drank, once. Just a sip of white champagne. I felt my head so heavy and then I collasped. Oh it was a nightmare.

"I have an idea," I raised my eyebrows and shove a piece of lasagna into my mouth.

"Quit college. Work with Vogue. With me."