Chapter 35

Martha Hunt's POV

"That bitch!" That shouting woke me up.

I lift my eyelids slowly. The lights from the room is scorching to my eyes. I cover them with my palm. I slowly adjust my eyes with the light in the room while scanning the room. It's obviously isn't my room. Where am I? Last thing I remember was having a really bad period pain, and Nathan put me to bed.

Oh god, don't tell me I'm at a hospital right now. I see John leaning against the wall.

"Bitch or not, she's still the woman that take care of you, young man." I heard another man's voice from behind John. I tried to take a good look of the man.

There's a adult man, older than me, he could be probably ma's age.

"Dad?" John muttered. Almost whispering.

Wait what?

"Dad?" I said. They both turn to me when they hear my voice.

"Martha, you're awake." John said.

I tried to lift myself to a sitting position, but I was weak. Like there's no more energy in me. But then John approach and help me up.

"What do you mean 'dad'?" I asked the anonymous man.

John looked at the man, who's still standing at the door. Waiting for answer.

The man walk inside, close the door and stood infront of us.

"My name is Ethan Hunt. And I am your father." The man said.

"What?" We respond. Almost synchronized.

The man that just claimed to be my dad a few seconds ago cleared his throat and fix his suit.

"20 years ago, your step mother, Lindsay, threaten me. From that moment I realize it was a mistake marrying her. So I made a backup plan. A big one. In case if Lindsay went out of control again. At the night when I got into the 'accident' that Lindsay set up, it was just a minor injury. A few scratches, nothing more. Because of Hunt Industries includes hospitals and labs, I called the director to bring a corpse that they supply the medical students."

"Why?" I asked.

"To fake your death." John said.

"Indeed. I had my people to make a big explosion for the accident so that it looked like I was burnt alive, Lindsay wouldn't recognise the corpse."

"So you fake your death, and then what? Hide for 20 years like a coward?" John loses his temper.

I held his arm, trying to calm him down.

"Why? Why now you suddenly showed up?" I asked.

"Because you got sick. You got sick because of knowing the truth. How am I not worried? Even your boyfriend worried about you."

"So you knew? You knew everything that has been happening yet you sit back, and relax, watching our world being turnt upside down?" John spit.

Dad keep quiet. He knows John is mad. Hell I am mad.

"Let me ask you something, if, Martha is not sick, is all well, will yu show yourself today? Huh? Will you? I don't think so."

"John," Dad muttered.

"You know what, 'dad'? You wanna make things better, put Lindsay to justice. Bring back their normal lives, can you do that?"

"John, I'm sorry."

"Sorry doesn't change anything, dad. Sorry doesn't change the fact that you hid for 20 years, watching us grew up without each other." John stood up and let out a big sigh. A few seconds later he left the room.

"You should leave us alone," Suddenly Ma's voice come out of no where. I turn my face towards the voice, Ma is standing at the door, her face was shocked.

Nathan is standing beside her. With some food in his hand.

"Doutzen," Dad muttered. Shocked that Ma was listening the whole conversation.

"Didn't you hear what I clearly said?" Ma is not sad, she's mad. Well, she should be. After all the trouble and lies dad put her through.

"D," Dad muttered again. Suddenly Ma left the room and dad want to go after her but I stopped him.

" I think she really meant what she said," I said. "Give her some time,"

Dad let out a big sigh and slowly left the room, leaving me and Nathan.

I looked at him and give him a weak smile.

"Hi," I said.

Nathan raised his eyebrow in confuse and then give me his warm smile.

"Hi," He walked toward my bed and sat on the chair besides the bed.

"You alright?" He asked. He take my hand and kiss the back of my palm.

"I guess,"

"I mean, you seemed pretty cool while your mom and brother were so mad after the big tantrum."

I chuckled.

"I am as speechless as they are but,"

"But?"

"I don't know, I mean for the past few weeks a lot has been going on, I don't know if things could get even worse."

I let out a laugh. Nathan looked at me weirdly.

"What's so funny?" He laughed because I laughed.

"Life is funny. It's so funny I can't even laugh anymore."

Nathan Aldridge's POV

She laughed again. Poor my Martha. I know deep down she's hurt as much as her brother and mom. She just hid it well.

"How is it funny?" I asked. Squeezing her palm lightly.

"You know, when I thought everything was well, Ma's work is going well, she bought a house at last,"

At last? What is she talking about?

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"We lived in dad's house after his fake death. A few weeks later, we were kicked out of the house. Because the house was not fully paid. We kinda slept at Ma's office for a few days before she found another house to rent." She paused.

I never knew she had go through that.
"We lived there for years, but of course, we don't really have a property. So Ma saved most of her income to buy a house. For my college fees. That's when I knew I had to do something."

Do what?

"I never go to college, Nathan. I lied to my mom saying that I didn't get to any college, but the truth is I got it. NYU." Her tears fall a bit. And she gave me a slight smile.

"That's why I'm just a photographer at Vogue. I could've been more, if dad come back. But he didn't. He abandon us. He lied to us. What kind of father do that? How can he just sit back and watch us suffer? Watch mom suffer? How can he, Nathan?" Tears started streaming down her cheeks.

"Shh," I wipe her tears with my thumb.

I got up my seat and got on the bed beside her. She cry and cry. All I can do is just rub her head and shoulders softly. After almost half and hour, she slept. I got off the bed. I looked at her.
"I'm sorry I didn't know, I promise everything will be better from now on. I promise, sweetheart." I said and tuck jer hair behind her ear.

I reach foward and kiss her on her forehead. Then I leave the room.