Frenzy

Azur Lane Base
Roads
1349 Hours
Day 81
81:13:49:05

Another flash of lightning helped to illuminate the road in the darkened outside world. Bits of tree branch were littering the ground, the owners themselves swaying repeatedly under harsh winds. Rain continued to pour down on the land below it.

And all of it was illuminated not by the natural white. It was red. The same phenomenon you had encountered when dealing Siren technology before.

"This storm's no accident." You said aloud in the Jeep, still speeding along as best you can while listening to radio chatter.

"No." Atago agreed while she rode shotgun. Hood was in the back seat with Pennsylvania, and she voiced the same words.

"It appears this Arbiter has used the technology we observed in use as a screen for her forces." Hood summarized. "And I presume going to the front lines would be desired for more effective decisions, Commander?"

"Bingo. I aim to coordinate with the soldiers and you, ladies, as much as possible. Let's be clear, there will be chaos regardless. You'll need to support the land defense while the others do their best to end the fleet." You briefed them. The radio in the Jeep crackled to life.

"Camelot, Camelot. This is Razor 2-1. Confirmed visual of LDG and hovercraft bearing 355 and 010 at 10 miles." A Marine garrison radioed in. At the same time, the sounds of artillery strikes managed to make their way into the transmission.

"Camelot acknowledges. Camelot has dispatched the Azur Lane and Leonidas." The headquarters replied in kind. "Inflict as much damage as possible. Hold position until untenable."

"Roger. Out."

Another flash of light illuminated the roads along with a resounding roar. The difference for this one, however, was that it was on the ground. And it was not a lightning strike as such.

That was an artillery strike up ahead. Mounds of earth erupted skyward from the point of impact. Shrapnel clattered against the vehicle, only rendered harmless by the distance. Judging from the size of the explosion, it was a naval artillery shell.

You swerved the vehicle hard to the left to avoid the crater and falling debris. Inertia swung you to the right and then to the left to turn back onto the pavement. But the ground had been thoroughly soaked from the storm, turning dirt into mud. You felt the Jeep loose it's traction and the car faced the road, but moved sideways. It was drifting.

One quick turn of the wheel back to the left stabilized your ride before you lost control. But more oncoming lights of varying colors approached the land from the direction of the north and by extension the sea. Siren's were bombarding this sector of the island. More importantly, they had quite clearly breached Line Sina. The only guns you knew that could fire from over twenty something miles out belonged to one battleship. Plasma rounds did not have the same velocity.

"We're almost there! Everyone hang on to something!" You shouted. You turned left again to dodge an incoming round, then right again for a strike right in front of you. This time, you felt the shockwave and fragments blasted through the car. Only for another eruption to pop up directly in the drifting Jeep's path. One bump from the subsequent crater and the shockwave was all it took.

The world tumbled when the center of gravity tipped over and the car when into a a roll. All you could do was hold on and hope that the metal frame would hold together. It felt as if the ride would never end. You were left dazed from the whole thing.