Be Human: Part I

Azur Lane Base
Commander's Office
0900 Hours
Day 4
04:09:00:01

The room was silent. Belfast stood to your right side at her station. Enterprise was now standing in front of your desk, no longer having a chair available. You reviewed the report of the response from last night's distress call, mulling it over. That was the point. The silence was meant to unnerve Enterprise before you finally talked. And finally, you did.

"So you rushed ahead to find two Dragon Empery ships with at least one Siren ship still active. And without a working rig, you baited it and almost was hit without Belfast's assistance." You began.

"Yes, Commander." Enterprise said stiffly.

You sighed. "All things considered, per Belfast, you just did an incredibly brave thing, Enterprise."

But once you gave the compliment, you set down the paper and looked at her straight in the eye.

"What you should have done was stay with your team. Stay on base. Lady, you're attitude is writing checks your body and ship can't cash. Your rig failed, and you almost got hurt or worse for it." No objections came from the reprimanded. Now it was to time for you to deliver your verdict.

"But you've also lived up to your nickname. Belfast has saved you twice now, and what's more is that you do care, just not enough for yourself. Most officers wouldn't hesitate to pull you from duty, but I have a different idea. Belfast has her part, and I have mine." You started off this way, then allowed a pause for effect.

"Enterprise, you're to be assigned as my secretary." She raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Your job is to assist in my duties as commander of the base. Part of it will be admin work, but rest assure you won't be out of combat. Far from it in fact. As you likely noticed, I'm perfectly willing to go into a fight. We'll be working together as a pair. Or trio rather. Sorry, Belfast." Belfast smirked in amusement. "Are we clear?"

"Uhhh, yes sir." The carrier wasn't exactly sure what to make of this.

"Good." You said as you now focused on a part of your body that had been patiently waiting as it ran on empty. Then again, that was kind of the Belfast phase of plans. "I haven't had any breakfast yet and neither have you. We're going to the mess hall for starters."

"But the mess hall has already served breakfast." Enterprise pointed out correctly. It would indeed be empty by that time. It was also part of the strategy by the resident maid.

"You forgot we're working with the Royal Navy's finest maid." You smiled as you got up.

"You're too kind, Commander." Belfast managed to keep a level head as she held the door for you two, but failed to hide a small tint of red on her face. You noted that for later.

'Flattery breaks through the level headedness. Good to know.'

After a short walk, you took a table at the mess hall. Enterprise sat in front of you as Belfast began serving breakfast to the two of you. Belfast began in typical British fashion by serving tea. You accepted with a grateful nod, but Enterprise stopped her.

"I prefer coffee in the morning." She said.

"A cup of coffee can be lovely, but too much can unsettle your stomach, especially if your stomach is empty." Belfast replied, unfazed and completing her task.

"I have plenty to eat." Enterprise raised up yet another set of Hershey D ration bars, only to have Belfast confiscate them with no hesitation. Besides, those were meant for less desirable situations.

"I think not." Belfast rebuked. "Enterprise, we are going to improve your way of life. With few exceptions, maintaining a strict and regular schedule is the key to leading an elegant existence." She wasn't really wrong on that end, but it didn't leave the carrier subdued.