End of the Beginning

Azur Lane Base
Commanders Office
1000 Hours
Day 21
21:10:00:03

To say that the past few days were busy was an understatement. Your first order of business was informing all allied forces of the victory at what was now known through the press online as the Battle of Orochi. Once returned to base, it was hour upon hour or nonstop debriefing, filling in requisition paperwork for new materials and overseeing the Manjuu's as they began making new improvements to the base, including new dorms and facilities.

For your new allies, the responsibility of informing the rest of their groups of the new turn of events fell to different ships. Prinz Eugen was dispatched to report to her higher ups in Ironblood, but not without infinite teases towards you beforehand. It seemed as though it was the anime cliche of going from enemies to..... something else.

She said it was likely that her superiors would want to journey to the base soon. This left Graf Zeppelin as the acting senior leader for Ironblood at the base. To say that carrier was cold was putting it mildly. The only positive emotion she hinted at was that your leadership apparently allowed her to inflict more destruction against Sirens and your willingness to jump into the fray was worthy of a compliment.

"You're quite brave. As expected of one who can sway Ironblood." She had said.

As for the Sakura Empire, Nagato took herself and several of her close allies, Kurikaze, Fusou, Sōryū and Hiryu, to their home island. This left the foxes, Takao and Atago, the cranes and Ayanami and her sisters along with Akashi among others in your care. As the next senior ship, the next person in Sakura Empires chain of command on base fell to Amagi.

It also was not easy to have the officials you talked to back down from punishing Akagi. It took all of the evidence and eyewitness accounts to tell them otherwise.

As for today, there was to be a virtual meeting later that afternoon between Azur Lane, the Crimson Axis bases, and all Allied Nations. But right now, you were in a phone meeting with one of the chief scientists behind the Azur Lane project.

"Commander (L/n), it's an honor to speak with you, sir." A very anxious stereotypical geek voice came in. "No wait, not sir, I'm a civilian. I mean mister, I mean-"

"Relax Dr. Yostar." You cut him off. "I'm not your boss."

"But you're in charge of the girls." The leading scientist pointed out. He was the one who spearheaded the project. As such, Dr. Yostar naturally received many accolades for his work bringing humanity back from the brink.

From the file you read, the best one word description for the man would be an otaku. He was also known for showing a great deal of care for the ship girls. His psychological profile concluded that he saw himself as a sort of father to them. In truth, it was not hard to argue why.

"How are they? Did you really manage to bring Amagi back?" He pressed you on.

"Yes. She's fine." You replied. "I gambled on using some wisdom cubes I had on hand and used them on the 'shadow'. Short version, it worked."

"Thank you for that." Dr. Yostar replied with joy evident, though he had bitterness in the next part. "Amagi was one of my biggest failures in the project. We didn't know if that would actually work and the governments would not spare the cubes as they were too busy using them in every ship they could find."

"Your welcome, Doctor." You said. "So what did need to call me about?"

"It's actually several things." He replied. "The first is something that had been classified up till now."

"And that is?" You said.

"The Priority Project. The idea was to take our research beyond known ships and go for ships that were just on the drawing boards. These girls are essentially prototypes." He explained.