Laurels

Saipan
Day 97
1134 Hours
97:11:34:56

You had to remove the headset temporarily. So many cheers were coming through that it threatened your eardrums compared to the loud drone of the SBD you were riding in. You turned to see Enterprise beaming at you from the left fuselage. The look on her face, the joy, the relief, the happiness even through her fatigue, was one you wished you could take a picture of.

You yourself felt absolutely elated. It had worked. The final decisive battle had been fought in less than half an hour. It was not a dramatic cinematic climax for sure, but more like an old samurai duel of old. The tension built up and the outcome was decided in just a few blows.

"Commander (L/n), come in. Hailing Commander (L/n)." The voice of Admiral Hood came through the aircraft radio headset. Someone had managed to change the frequency if he could get through without everyone else taung to talk at the same time.

"Commander (L/n). Solid copy." You answered.

"Congratulations Commander." Admiral Hood did little to hide his own enthusiasm through the neutral tone. "I'm receiving reports from all over the world, all the same thing. The Sirens are gone. I say again, the Sirens are gone."

The exhilaration of victory turned into that of absolute triumph. The plan had worked flawlessly. The enemy was combat ineffective, and so far no confirmed casualties. Yes, the alter Enterprise had her Commander fall too, but therein lay the difference.

He had done the natural thing of fighting Empress head on like a final boss and paid for it. You had come to a realization that the fight was not an end in of itself. It was a means to another goal. By purposely missing Empress and hitting Observer Zero instead, it altered the outcome. The rest boiled down to faith.

"Copy that, Admiral." You replied. "Any orders, sir."

"Go to your fleet, (L/n). Wouldn't want to keep anyone waiting on you."

"My thoughts entirely, sir." You nodded to Enterprise.

In a flash of blue in water below, the familiar flight deck of USS Enterprise appeared. Ship girls quickly began to congregate around the area in anticipation, but they would have to wait.

"Keep the flight deck clear." Enterprise commanded through the PA system on the ship. At the same time, you took hold of the control stick and throttle, feet moving to the rudder pedals. Call,it silly, but you wanted to bring the plane in yourself. And if something went wrong, Enty could regain control.

You backed down the throttle and brought the flaps down. Next came the gear with the throw of a lever. The plane shuddered when the gear was down and locked into place. You were in the groove.

Gently, the Dauntless came down and caught the first wire. It jerked to a stop, moved backwards a bit, then came to rest. All around you, ship girls jumped onto the flight deck. Their cheers and shouts varied.

"Yes! We've won!"

"Hip-Hip! Hooray!" Those were the Eagle ones.

"Huzzah!" Was the cries from the Royals.

"Heil Kommandant!" Ironblood shouted.

"Banzai!" The Sakura ships cheered.

"URRRAAAA!" The triumphant roar of the Northern Parliament could be heard.