TormundXReader - Told me Sooner

Sitting at the head table next to your sister and brother, you gaze around the crowded room. The entire room has a strange feel to it. Some people are just glad to be alive after fighting the dead, while others are letting their grief of those they lost weigh them down. You're a mix of both emotions at the moment.

You hadn't fought until the dead rose in the crypts below Winterfell. It was actually a thought that had come to you when told about the women and children heading down there, but assumed that since no one else seemed worried about it that everything would be fine. You had shoved the nearest children behind you and fought with all your might to save them. A child had been killed right before your eyes and there had been nothing you could do as you fought off a different White Walker.

A shiver runs through your body at the memory. Yes, you were alive and had done everything you could to help the people of Winterfell. But so many had been lost, like the poor child you hadn't been able to help.

A gentle nudge on your arm drags you out of your thoughts.

"Are you not enjoying the evening?" Sansa's voice is soft as she speaks, just loud enough to be heard over the crowd but low enough that no one can overhear.

"I'm just stuck in my head I suppose. It's been a long couple of days."

"It has been," your sister replies with a soft chuckle, leaning back in her chair. "You can go if you wish. Get some rest."

"Thank you," you say, giving her a small smile as you stand up. You brush nonexistent dirt off of your skirts before slowly making your way out of the room. Which turns out to be much easier said than done.

Large groups of people are standing throughout the great hall, crowded around each other and having a good time. You notice more than a few swaying on their feet with goblets held loosely in their hands. You're so busy people watching that you don't notice the person right in front of you until it's too late.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," you exclaim, as a hand settles on to your hip. Looking up, you notice the grin on the red heads face.

"I'm not," he says, pulling your body against his.

Tormund had been flirting with you since the first moment you had met at the Wall. Well, flirting with you and the tall blonde woman who had brought you to Castle Black. You had thought he was just the type of person who flirted with every woman he saw, but after arriving at Winterfell, it become clear he only flirted with the two of you.

You had done your best to not let your feelings for the man become anything more than friendly. But had failed spectacularly.

"Where do ya think your going," he questions. His hand squeezes you gently.

"I was going to my chambers. But I wouldn't mind a walk first, if you would be so kind as to come with me, of course."

"I can't think of one thing I'd rather be doing," he replies, a grin spreading on his face.  Placing his hand on your lower back, he leads you through the crowd and into the hall. You walk side by side in silence for a bit until you step outside.

"We've lost so many people," you murmur. As you stare at the destruction around you, you notice that Tormund is staring at you sadly. "What is it?"

"I'm sorry I wasn't there to keep you safe."

"Don't say that. If you were in the Crypts then who knows what would have happened up here. We needed every person who could fight to fight." Turning towards him fully, you gently place a hand on his arm.

"When I heard what happened I was scared that you were hurt," he says, pulling your body close to his.

"I was one of the lucky ones. But so many kids were killed, one right in front of me. I was trying to save her but a different white walker was coming for me and I had to choose her or me."

Tormund wraps his arms around you tightly, resting his head on top of yours as you clutch onto him. He's the first person you've told about it. Sansa knew that the child had died, but she didn't know the full story. She didn't know that you had been forced to choose between your life and the child's and had chosen yourself.

Lifting your head off of his chest, you ask, "why were you so worried about me?"

"Why wouldn't I be? I've been courting you for weeks now."

"What?" You stare at him in confusion. He stares at you with confusion.  "You've been flirting with me since we met, but I've seen you do the same thing with Brienne."

"I haven't talked to her since we got to Winterfell. I realized that you're the one I want, not 'er."

"And you didn't think to tell me that you wanted to court me? I didn't think people beyond the wall even did courting."

"We don't. But Snow said it's what I'm supposed to do. Have I been doin' it wrong?" You can't help the small chuckle that escapes your lips.

"Honestly, you could have just told me how you felt so that I could tell you I feel the same way."

"You feel the same way?" The happiness in his voice makes you smile as you nod your head.

Wrapping your arms around his neck, you pull him down and connect your lips with his. It starts as a sweet kiss but quickly grows more intense as he tightens his arms around you even more. You eventually break apart for air, both breathing heavily.

"I definitely wish I'd said something sooner," he says, resting his forehead against yours.

"Me too," you reply, a grin on your face.