Chapter 47

Ayato closed the door to Yui's room and inhaled deeply. His head hurt bad, and he could really use a drink, but bothering her while she was still recovering felt strangely inappropriate. He clutched his bangs and slumped over the closed door, not understanding what had overcome him. And as well as her.

He felt a jolt of realisation that maybe this time, he would lose her to Ruki, something he had never expected to happen. He'd been the one entitled to her blood. He had been the one to get her out of every trouble she had chanced upon. And now to see that half-blood take her away, it all seemed so surreal. Ayato felt nauseous. His eyes burned with tears. There was nothing he could do except watch the Traveller burn everything he wanted into flames. He felt the heavy footsteps of Yuma approach him even before he saw him at the end of the hallway. Wiping his eyes, he turned towards the humungous being and asked in a low voice, "Is this what the old man wants?"

Yuma looked pretty nonchalant. Standing right next to him, Ayato felt a sense of shame and guilt. The giant spared a look at him, before he plucked out an apple from his pocket. Tossing it towards Ayato, he said in a quiet voice, "I do not speak directly to that person, but maybe what he wants is for her to be happy."

Ayato looked at the apple in his hand, and then back at the half blood. The headache was growing louder inside him. "And the only way for her to be happy is to be with your shitty brother?"

Yuma crossed his eyebrows, and grabbed Ayato by his collar. "Take that back."

"I wasn't the one who exposed her to the danger of those wolves." Ayato shrugged. "Ruki did."

"You let her walk onto a sacrificial altar, and that's probably the worst I can imagine."

Ayato felt something stab hard in his chest, but he knew it was beyond physical pain at this moment. "If I wanted, I could have all your brothers' heads on a plate. I could slice your guts open and feed them to the same lycans you were struggling to fight against. The only difference is that, I will never do it out of pity on your miserable life, you fucking half."

Yuma seemed a bit taken aback, and let go of his collar, stepping back. "If that were the case, you'd have killed that person along with your mother."

Ayato growled. The sound rumbled inside his chest. "You know what happens when you mention that bitch in our house?" He raised his fist at Yuma, ready to strike, but something hit him hard inside his chest. A strange sense of longing over come him, as the apple fell from his other hand, his body collapsing onto the floor.

Yuma held his chin high, looking down on the vampire with distaste. "The awakening is now complete, Ayato." He crossed his hands over his chest, smirking. "Even if you want to hurt me, you can't. This is not what she wants, and now you are reduced to be merely a puppet of hers." He spit on the ground, rubbing his shoe on the marble floor. "Disgusting little shit."

Ayato felt his chest collapsing, the air being sucked out of his lungs, as the rage built up inside him. The awakening? It was already settling in? And this fucking Yuma being so clairvoyant about this...

"Shu's... back." Ayato managed to spit out as Yuma turned his back towards him, and he saw the giant visibly flinch. If he couldn't hurt him physically, he sure as hell wasn't going to let him sleep in peace.

"If that aristocratic sad boy somehow survived, then I know what pathetic level you are on, Ayato." Yuma exhaled, but Ayato was pleased to see him disturbed.

Ayato collapsed upon his chest, as he watched the half-blood disappear in front of his eyes. The slightest sliver of sunlight hit his face, as he felt cold, wet blood drip down his nostrils. A sadistic laugh escaped his throat, which quickly culminated into a silent sob as he contorted his body in pain, his knuckles drenched in blood.