Chapter 41

A/N: This is a bit of a fluffy chapter, enjoy!

Kanato pulled out a little teacup and placed it in front of Teddy, the coaster printed with a pretty pattern of ivy and lavender flowers. Kanato loved lavender, it was the best flower he had ever seen. It even matched his hair, a feature he inherited from his mother. He took pride in it, being the only person who didn't look like he was a weird science experiment within his brothers. His own blood brothers had somehow gotten red hair, and he sure as hell didn't know how. That was a mystery genetics could never answer.

The door creaked a bit, interrupting him. He could make out a bare outline of the girl before she knocked, making him jump. "Can I come in?"

"Get out." Kanato said simply. He didn't want to talk to her at all. Whatever he did... whatever Reiji wanted him to do. It excited him, thinking about her being sacrificed. He didn't know it would end with Shu's death. The human girl had poisoned him and his siblings with her blood. He couldn't be more resentful of her when she introduced him to the feeling he was experiencing right now: guilt, with a strange sense of remorse. His own mother had said when she gained possession of the girl, that boredom is the thing immortals hate the most. How could he be blamed for things he was supposed to do as an immortal, things that were inherent in his nature?

"Kanato kun," Yui forced herself into his room, her hands holding a tray of cookies, freshly baked out of the oven. He looked at her questioningly, before she answered his unspoken query. "I made these for you."

Kanato seemed to consider for a moment. "Are these sweet?"

Yui smiled at him. "I made them sweet enough."

Something seemed to ease in his mind, as he invited her in. "Well, Yui san, I would like to have some. You can sit with me and Teddy if you like."

She placed the little tray over his purple coffee table, his numerous toys scattered around him in different positions, as they attended the tea party. He felt it was obligatory to introduce her to the crowd. "This is Komori Yui, everyone," he said, his voice suddenly calm. The horde of toys looked blankly at her. Her expression was quite comical at this point, she was actually playing into this game, and for once, he did not feel stupid or insignificant while indulging into activities that amused him. The giraffe was sitting next to her, while the plush elephant sat across the table from them. The other toys watched silently, their soulless eyes staring at the activity. He silently took a cookie and held it between his hands, staring intently. It was almost perfectly baked. Golden and brown crusty outside, and when he snapped it in half he was delighted to find that the dough had risen perfectly. He smiled in contentment, and bit into it. The mind numbingly sweet taste left him reeling. This was the best batch she had ever made. His eyes closed automatically in bliss.

"Kanato kun, may I ask you something?"

Kanato raised his head, his frilly collar brushing against his neck. He must have been distracted, because he let her take a cookie from the tray without screaming at her. He bit into the cookie again, the crumbs falling onto his shirt, powdering over his chin. He made some sound, his mouth too full with cookie, that signified her to go ahead with whatever question she had.

Yui twirled her finger into an imaginary thread on her shorts. "Why did Ayato kun rescue me?" Her face was a mixture of confusion and frustration.

Kanato stopped in his tracks. With two sons missing from the family, he didn't want to be the third. "Don't ask such stupid questions."

She must have been impatient. "Do you know anything about it?"

"Yes, now shut up." The last time they had discussed this among themselves, Ayato had tried to drop dead bugs into their dinner. At night, he was met with snakes slithering into his bed. He had cried a lot during that time, but Ayato had merely huffed and said that he deserved it, after talking about him behind his back. He knew the real reason, but was too afraid. He knew Ayato could read minds sometimes during the full moon, and if he even thought about exposing him in front of the girl, he would be met with his scary pranks yet again.