Chapter 33

Seiji propelled his legs to push forward through the asphalt, looking behind him in fear, as he raced across the street. He had been stupid to trust Ruki with his childish plans and entrusting his daughter's safety upon the immature vampire was a grave mistake on his part.

The shadow of a person, vague against the full moon came across him, as he heard a low voice, demanding and cruel. "I told you to stay back."

Seiji fired his revolver at him. Azuza's form shifted across his vision, his bullet had gone to waste. He had five more in his chamber, but they weren't silver bullets. They were enough to shock Azuza, but not enough to keep him down. He would soon be either sucked dry by the masochistic vampire, or his throat would be ripped out by him in anger.

Azuza appeared right beside him, but this time Seiji was prepared, his hand over the trigger as he shot a bullet right into Azuza's left arm. An animalistic howl escaped Azuza, as he went sprawling on the road, his limbs going everywhere in the frenzy of being shot. Azuza moved fast enough that Seiji didn't see him move with his human eyes, but experience had taught him to predict the vampires' moves ahead of them.

He reached into his coat, bringing his wooden stake out, poised over the still body of the vampire. He inhaled deeply, steadying his hands. Only one shot, and then he could proceed ahead for his daughter. He raised the stake, and brought it down hard on the chest.

Seiji felt a blow to his stomach, forcing air out of his lungs. His body flew towards the street lamp, his head colliding with the pole. Seiji felt blood gush out of an open wound on his head. He should've gotten his silver bullets. Now he was about to witness this sad excuse of a vampire die a howling death.

Azuza limped towards him, laughing as he towered above the priest. "Follow the rules. Not very difficult for you, right?"

Azuza leapt at the priest, lunging towards his neck. Seiji brought his stake in at the right moment, and heard a wet squelch.

Azuza screamed.

***

Ruki felt his limp body being lifted from the spiked grill and being mercilessly dropped to the ground. His inside cried for help, his fingers becoming numb with the hammering pain inside his limbs. His heart had stopped yet again, so his blood hadn't been spilled as much as he had expected. He had coughed up a significant amount, thought, and simply drinking from the glass won't suffice anymore. He had to have Yui's blood. He deserved to. That damn Ayato had betrayed both him and his precious Eve. Ruki would skin him alive if he dares to touch Yui with his filthy hands.

He heard the flick of a lighter, a cigarette being ignited by Father Komori, as he inhaled in deeply, his glasses resting on his wisened face. Ruki felt a rumbling laughter within his chest as he asked, "How did you find me?"

Komori looked at him, his face stony and expressionless. Kicking the cigarette butt away, he breathed out a cloud of smoke. "I am a hunter. You must learn to expect the unexpected from me."

Ruki put pressure over his open wounds. He wasn't sure why he wasn't healing yet. "And Azuza?"

"Taken care of."

Ruki looked at the priest in horror. "Is my brother okay?"

"Bleeding, but not dead." Seiji usher him, pushing him towards the grilled wall. "Now come on. I need to save my daughter from those demons. We can't waste any time here pondering over schemes."

Ruki felt this urgency forced, but he didn't have the courage to stand up against Seiji, in fact. He was just too scared to anger Eve's father of all people. He complied, taking the lead to follow Laito's scent to find the exit.