Chapter 7

Yui stumbled across the garden as a cold wind blew, sweeping her hair across her face. Beyond the mansion, across the fence, a desolate church stood, unhinged by the unholiness that plagued the Sakamaki estate. It was weird how even the brothers could stand the sight of the church right from their grounds. Yui held onto a single cross that she always kept with her, and god knows how many times she had "lost" it. Usually Kanato resorted to torturing her like that, but she had even witnessed Reiji and Laito steal it from her drawer, claiming it "did not seem fit for her" when she lived in the company of heathens like them, or "Bitch chan should not rely on artificial ideas like god". She looked around, scared of what might come if she does cross the premises. Most probably Kou or Yuma will catch her sneaking out and drag her back, or maybe Reiji will get creative with his punishments.

But she needed some peace.

Regardless of what she might have said to Subaru in an overconfident retort, a small part of her still counted on her father to come and rescue her. She'd tried to contact him so many times, risked so much for one letter, one phone call, just to tell him she was fine, she was alive. Or maybe she wasn't fine, her defenses were being broken day by day, and she still seemed to bear it all for but one hope: that there were better days ahead.

She took in a deep breath, looking at the mansion one last time, and jumped over the stone wall.

Landing on her feet, she definitely felt something slither down her leg, and she shrieked. Quickly gathering her wits, her hands clutched her cross defiantly. She'd sinned enough ever since she came to this mansion. She'd given Ayato, perhaps the one who had tortured her the most, her blood willingly. She inched closer to the church, looking at the premises a bit confused. The church was in a pathetic state. Pews were thrown out of the building unceremoniously, rotting in the backyard. Little grapevines grew along the wooden fence. An apple tree shaded her from the bloody moonlight as she passed it and entered the building.

Most of the furniture had been stripped away, save for the altar and the angels flanking it, and the Jesus on the crucifix, appearing melancholic. She sat down on a pew, her hands folded, her eyes closed.

Her mind, though, didn't seem at peace.

She pushed back thoughts she had always harboured at the back of her mind. Was Shu playing the violin again? Bet Reiji was furious at her for not coming for dinner. Ruki kun was probably fighting with Ayato again. Oh god, if Azuza starts to wave his knife collection around! No, Kou kun will mitigate that disaster. Wonder where Yuma is, is he still mad at Shu? Blood, they all must have been so thirsty...

She realised that she was crying when a small gasp escaped her, and she broke down. Sobbing, looking at the statue of Christ, tears blurring her vision.

Amidst her tears, she managed to choke out, "Why me?"

No answer from her god. Even He hung his head in shame.

"I waited for so long," she sobbed, her voice breaking. "Living with the Sakamakis, then with the Mukamis. I waited for my father to rescue me from this hell." She got up from the bench as an overwhelming emotion overtook her.

Running outside, she tripped over a grapevine, twisting her ankle.

"Ah!" a tortured scream ripped out of her throat.

"Whoa."

A pair of black boots shone under the moonlight, as she felt strong hands pick her up by the shoulders.

Yuma's handsome face illuminated under the moonlight, making him appear to be a little more friendly and a little less dangerous.

She wiped her tears away in haste. "Yuma kun..."