Chapter 39

Yui was in a rush. Despite getting no sleep for the day, she was up and running in the afternoon, tending to everyone who had been injured in the aftermath of the full moon. Her heart was constantly jumping from worry to peace to fear, but at the end of the day, they were all safe.

But for one.

Shu's body had been retrieved by the servants, and Ayato had refused to give him a proper burial. He was thrown down into a cold storage, and everyone was ordered to seal the room that housed his body. They couldn't destroy the son of a vampire king by fire, so Subaru suggested the alternative. Subaru had been the most affected by Shu's death. Even though he had his rage moments with the eldest, he still respected him in a way only a Sakamaki could.

Yui had already patched up Azuza, Kanato and Laito. Laito had refused to speak to her despite her pestering him for answers. Why did he do it? What was his motivation? Why was he so eager to see her dead? Kanato had merely growled at her to get out of his room. He did not, however, refuse to be treated. They were fast healing vampires, no doubt, but that only applied to their surface cuts. Anything more than a laceration was taking too much time to heal, so she had to seal up their wounds in order to prevent infection or gangrene.

She proceeded towards Yuma's room, knocking twice.

Ruki was sitting beside him, his throat already bandaged by Yui. The eldest Mukami gave her a sweet smile, and she returned it back. Yuma was looking way better than everyone else now, though he had been through an awful lot.

"Look at you, Yuma kun," her voice was cheerful, and it sort of made Yuma a bit less cautious. "You're already looking so healthy."

"He doesn't need much care, Eve," Ruki looked at his brother slyly, his chin resting in the palm of his hand, his stance was way more relaxed than she had ever witnessed. "He eats the body of his victims and that is enough."

Yui laughed, as Yuma looked on, irritated. Seeing that nobody joined in with her, she asked, "Are you serious, Ruki kun?"

"I don't do jokes, Eve."

Yui stumbled back a bit. "Is it true, Yuma kun?"

"Tch," Yuma was annoyed to the end of his patience. "You sow have nothing better than to pry into people's personal matters, right?"

But he ate people.

Yui shook her head, asking in a low voice, "Now, show me where you need to be patched up."

Yuma rolled his eyes, throwing off his covers. He was mostly naked save for a pair of trousers borrowed from Shu's wardrobe. She gulped as she saw the gaping hole in his torso. It had stopped bleeding since his heart didn't pump blood, but undead blood clotted slower than mortal blood, and hence a bunch of stringy, blackened blood was left polled on his belly. She dunked a cotton cloth into a pot of warm water, and carefully wiped the congealed blood off of his torso.

"Hey, sow," Yuma asked, his tone a bit dejected and sorrowful. Yui looked up from her task, her fingers wrapping around the little cloth. "Yes, Yuma kun?"

"Is it true that the NEET is dead?"

Yui's grip slackened, as the cloth fell on his skin. Her jaw dropped, as Ruki looked on in certain stern concentration. They'd mostly avoided talking about Shu in general. While people were busy recovering and sleeping after the exhausting night, Yui and Ruki were staying awake, on alert for the threats that might jump on them. The Tsukinami attack had left them a bit hazed, and Ruki refused to be less vigilant for the sake of his brothers.

"I'm sorry, Yuma kun," Yui squeezed his shoulder, as he closed his eyes, refusing to accept that he felt sorrowful after losing what seemed to be a person he related to.