Chapter 12

Reiji put down his book by his side, looking at his brother with contempt. First Laito, then Shu. Both were undoubtedly shrewd and calculating. Had their father not interrupted them during their confrontation with the Tsukinami brothers, they would have killed or at least hurt the Founders. And now Shu, walking in with a proposition like that...

"Why do you think I should follow through?" he asked, as Shu rolled over on his stomach, lounging on the couch in their library. Reiji had just finished filing up their house taxes, and it was almost time for his tea. And here was Shu, walking in on him like he was invited. Reiji slammed the book he was reading on the table in front of him, interlacing his fingers and propping his chin on them. Shu breathed slightly, his hands taking off both the earbuds from his ears, and standing up. "Do you want it or not?"

"Excuse me for being rude," Reiji said, pushing his glasses back, "But I must inquire as to why you are only interested in this issue right now. Mother has been dead for decades. Why now?"

"Because I want to." Shu said, keeping his palms on the table, leaning onto it. "I think you could need some closure."

Reiji looked at him with an amused expression, and laughed heartily. "And who would give me the closure? You? Of all people?"

Shu shut his eyes, and insisted. "Mother wasn't good to any of us."

"What makes you think that?" Reiji barked, his fury reaching another level. "Our mother was the ideal woman, a devoted wife. Lord knows why she favoured you over me. Her only flaw was trusting the wrong people, first our father, then you."

"Reiji!" Shu shouted at him, slamming his fist into the table. A wooden chunk fell off. "Do not forget that I'm the eldest. Talking about me in that tone will not be tolerated."

Reiji smiled, tilting his head. Shu's anger had flared up even more, but he somehow controlled it.

"I hope that you know," Reiji said, his voice laced with poison, "That being the eldest means taking responsibility. Being the eldest does not simply mean that you get to boss people around." He paused, then added, "It does not mean wallowing in your pain and being depressed for decades because a worthless village was burnt down."

That was the last straw, as Shu grabbed Reiji by the collar, smacking him into the table, splitting it in half. Reiji lied still for a moment, then looked up and hissed at Shu. Grabbing onto his shirt, Reiji smashed him once, twice, thrice onto the floor, snarling like a beast, ultimately throwing him into the bookshelves behind them. A landslide of books fell upon Shu, as he met with the shelves. Reiji's shirt was torn, his hair messed up, his glove missing. He had also dropped his glasses in the commotion. Straightening himself up, gathering his bearings, he got down on his knees and started to look for his glasses.

"Reiji san," he heard a thumping of shoes as someone climbed to his library with light steps, and turned to see the mortal woman standing by the door, ready for night school.

"Please excuse me," Reiji said, his hands feeling against cool metal as he finally found his glasses. Pushing them against his nose, he looked into her direction, saying in a composed manner, "You need to give us some privacy."

"But Shu san is..."

"My brother and I are discussing important matters," Reiji said, trying hard to be indifferent and not just pounce on the naive girl for interrupting them. "You may leave us and wait for our arrival in the limousine."

Shu removed the pile of books blocking him, and his glare settled onto Yui. She, for some reason, stumbled back, her breath hitched in her throat. Reiji noticed the apparent awkwardness as she walked backwards, Shu giving her a murderous look. She faced Reiji, stumbling upon her words. "I need to rush, I'm getting late." Her legs must have been fueled on adrenaline, as she was gone in an instant.