Chapter 8

Ayato shuffled through their liquor cabinet, his lower lip trapped beneath his teeth. He knew that gin had been hidden somewhere in the back, but he couldn't reach it without knocking the whole cabinet to the ground. His bloodlust had been awakened yet again, but he couldn't find Yui anywhere on the estate. His throat burned like a desert, might as well burn it with the alcohol while he was at it. His fingers brushed against the bottles, desperately trying to clutch the one at the farthest corner, while keeping an eye for Reiji's tableware. Shu was sleeping on the sofa in the hall, bothered by neither Ayato's possessive rant about how Shu was off limits to the sacrificial bride, how since he had seen her first he deserved to have all her firsts, and that if next time Shu tried to touch her with his filthy fingers he would chop them off. It was becoming tiresome for Shu, as every other sacrificial bride had always been Ayato's possession and everyone was forbidden to touch her unless allowed permission by Ayato first.

Shu yawned in boredom, as he took off an earpiece to enjoy Ayato's struggle. Rolling his eyes, he flopped on his belly, chuckling to himself. Ayato noticed him, and sneered at him. "If you laugh at me, I'll rip your tongue out and feed it to the strays."

Shu let out an even louder laugh. "While you're at it, pick up the brandy that we opened on last new years eve."

Ayato snickered, remembering the stunt Shu had pulled up that night. "We were thinking you wouldn't come that day to attend the party." And then Shu pulled the best prank on Reiji. While Reiji was about to open the champagne when the cork went loose, hitting him in the eye. They got to know it was Shu who loosened the cork when he was pestered out of his laziness by Reiji, who demanded him to do some work if he wanted the booze during the party. Seeing the calm and confident Reiji flustered in front of his guests, as he pressed an ice pack over his eye was admittedly hilarious to everyone. In order to calm the guests, their father pulled out an expensive gin bottle that he had been hiding from the boys for years, and the panic died down.

Reiji didn't get out of his room for three days.

Ayato admired Shu for pulling such a mean prank and getting away with it. Even though they were brothers, it was hard for him to tease Laito and Kanato both. Laito rarely seemed to get mad despite being continuously poked at by Ayato, and Kanato seemed to get upset at every damn thing. Subaru didn't need a reason to get mad per se, so he wasn't really an ideal person to play pranks on. Shu, despite being a NEET, could turn tables at you fast.

Ayato finally grabbed the gin bottle, gulping down the drink straight from the bottle. The liquor seeped into his mouth, swarming into his throat, burning his desire for blood along with his palate. He threw the bottle at Shu, who caught it effortlessly with one hand. Turning on his back, he downed the gin as he winced, not anticipating the burn. "How do you even drink this stuff."

"Practice," Ayato grinned slyly at him.

Kanato entered the hall, his feet unsteady as he approached Shu and Ayato. Ayato noticed him first, as Kanato's sour expression told him exactly what had happened. "Shu san tricked me into leaving Yui san's pursuit to chase after the NON-EXISTENT TEDDY THAT REIJI WAS ABSOLUTELY NOT PLANNING ON RESURRECTING!" Ayato laughed out as Kanato proceeded to promptly flip the sofa Shu was lounging on. Shu dropped on the ground with a loud thud, hitting headfirst. Shu opened one eye, not seeing Kanato's rage fit to even respond to. Rubbing his head with his left hand, he said, "Better turn that anger towards Reiji if you want your toy back."

"You..." Kanato growled, but was interrupted by the faint sound of Reiji shouting something at someone. They soon heard the thumping of huge footsteps, as Yuma climbed down the stairs, his breathing shallow and hair disheveled. "That sow..."

Ayato waited for Yuma to finish his sentence, but when he didn't a slight sense of dread settled in his chest. Shu dropped the bottle of gin on the ground, rushing towards the direction from where they could hear Reiji's panicked voice coming. Reiji has every cure for humans under him, as far as Ayato knew. If even Reiji was going bonkers over her this time, then maybe...