Chapter 29

Ayato found himself resting in his iron maiden, the lid still uncovered. He forced himself to get up, his bones echoing with a piercing pain. How did he end up here? He was confused for the longest moment, then gathering his senses, he looked around, taking in his surroundings. It was still night time. But somebody had shut off all the windows in his room. The wall opposite to him had been torn open, and he sort of had an idea who had done this. "Fucking Chichinashi." He flung his body outside the iron maiden, just in time for Laito to burst in through the door. He was missing his trademark fur jacket and fedora, and had been sweating bullets. "Ayato kun!"

"Thanks for forgetting that I was a part of the plan, Laito," Ayato said, his voice gaining a sardonic edge. "That punk Ruki almost killed me, you know that?"

"Reiji says he lost little bitch," Laito said, looking at the huge hole in the wall. "Is that you're doing?" He pointed at it, unsure.

"Ruki ripped through the wall." Ayato was seething with rage. "How did he even know about the false walls? He doesn't even know the mansion that well?"

Laito breathed hard. "Little bitch told him."

Ayato felt his pent up anger bubbling up inside him. "Even she shouldn't know the ins and outs of the house. She must have been researching about it."

Laito could barely suppress his chuckle. Ayato turned to look at him, enunciating every syllable of his sentence. "Be serious for now."

"I can't get over the fact that you couldn't even control little bitch," Laito tutted at him. Ayato ignored him, as he bent down to inspect the little hole they had torn into the wall, looking for the slightest chance that they hadn't escaped from them. He'd have his chances of success thinned down if that happened. He could not be set back at any cost. He couldn't go further by lying and cheating.

"Let's send Reiji's familiars into them," Laito said, offering a solution. "They might not have gotten too far."

"Reiji's little pigeons wouldn't be able to get through the sewers, idiot." Ayato took off his hoodie, leaving him in a grey undershirt. "I should be able to send my bats inside, but even those sons of bitches wouldn't be able to do much if Ruki notices them. Laito," he turned towards his brother, "Send somebody to guard the dungeons. Yui might take that route to escape from the castle, if I know her well."

"Well, you clearly don't." Laito's indifferent statement stabbed him like a spear, right into his heart.

Ayato sighed. "Which is why I am sending Shu to observe the drain that connects to the city. Just in case I don't know her enough."

Laito shrugged. "I had told you to be a little more upfront if you wanted to advance towards her." He looked at Ayato, his expression smug.

"Fuck you." Ayato couldn't handle the condescending remarks Laito was giving him continuously. Ayato wasn't a novice in sex, and he didn't want to feel inferior in front of his devious little brother. He had hoped to be a bit more forward as well, but Yui was so fucking prudish at times he wanted to smack himself across the face for even thinking of getting into her pants. He might as well seduce her father with the effort he had put into her chase. Ayato opened the window, whistling loudly. A bat flew towards the window, sitting right on the ledge, facing Ayato. Its beady eyes looked at Ayato, ready to take orders.

"Take the nearest route to Reiji, and tell him to station somebody in front of the drain that connects to the city." Ayato breathed in, his thumb and forefinger pinching the bridge of his nose. "Look after Chichinashi, if you find her."

"Reiji might not like the recent events," Laito said, crossing his arms. The bat flew away, towards the other side of the mansion. Laito opened the doors as Ayato rushed behind him, slipping on a white shirt. "He had been pretty sour ever since he got to know that Subaru was genuinely trying to help little bitch."