Chapter 35

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to @AdrijaDas8 because it's her birthday! May you always achieve what you want in life and live long, sweetheart. Stay safe!

The bite jarred her senses to such a degree that it seemed to readjust her entire framework. Her eyes adjusted to the dark a little better, but she couldn't yet distinguish between the colours in the dark. Her ears and skin strained together to make a much stronger sensory system, and she became aware of a person on the other side of the door, inching closer. The room was a bit chilly and yet she could feel flames blow in the wind on the opposite side of the mansion. Her mind was a mess, her body begged her for just a bit of pain. She sat up, her limbs feeling heavy, her hair raised on its ends. She ran a hand across her forearm, forcing herself to remain calm.

She didn't like being so alert all of a sudden. The nausea took hold of her, her head splitting into a headache. Her hand clamped down on her jaw, withholding whatever little her stomach could hold from coming back up into her throat. The things she had encountered in her cryptic dreams had left her dizzy, and her heightened senses weren't helping her much.

The door was slightly opened, as a head peeked in. She recognised the green eyes almost immediately. "Ayato kun?"

The eyes closed shut, as though contemplating hard. He pushed the door open, letting in the cool midnight air. Yui backtracked, crawled slowly into the corner of her bed, as the vampire stalked her, each step towards her sending her alarms in a frenzy. Had she been less wired and anxious, she would have spit at him, called him names and threatened to kill him. She didn't have her silver knife at her disposal right now, but She figured that poking his eye out with her bare fingers would be a welcome substitute.

His heavy steps approached, as Yui flung herself out of the bed, rushing towards the French window, opening it with trembling hands as she stood in front of him. He studied her with earnest eyes, unable to process what her actions meant, but as she climbed the ledge, it became crystal clear as to what her intentions were.

"Chichinashi." The word was curt, short and demanding. His lip curled up in a sneer as she stood up on her bare feet, holding the sides of the window as support.

"No more games, Ayato kun," she said, her voice sounding serene and at peace. Finally, if here was any choice she had in her life, it was ending her life on her own terms. She will not be sacrificed on the altar to fulfil Reiji's sick desires of bringing his mother back. Beatrix might have been a cruel mother, she may have been loving, but she didn't deserve to be brough back only to be tortured by Reiji. Ayato didn't deserve to touch her with his filthy hands. She broke into tears just by thinking of the naïve little girl she had been. Swayed by a vampire who never spared a damn worry about her. Her dress fluttered in the wind, and she heard Ayato take a gulp.

"We can discuss this. We do not have time to argue right now." Ayato sounded urgent but hesitant. Yui dangled her leg over on the other side, and said, "You got to ruin my life enough. Let me die in peace."

"Get down, you stupid!" Ayato snapped. His bangs were askew over his forehead. She waited for a moment, looking behind her shoulder. A three storey drop, just like Cordelia had been murdered by her beloved sons.

"You think everybody cares if you live or die?" Ayato said, daring to step closer towards the window. Yui clutched the sill in defiance. She would never let him get under her skin. Yet her heart squeezed in pain as he uttered the next few words. "I don't care if you'd live or die. But neither would anybody else." He stepped an inch closer, his head level with her shoulders. "Do you know what happens to brides when they die?"