Chapter 18

Ruki looked at his brothers, settling down into the sofa, as he absorbed what Kou had just said. It was too absolute to imagine. A dread settled in his long dead heart, as he spat out, his ribs aching with a dull pain, "Bullshit."

"But Kou confirmed it," Yuma said, wringing his hands. He'd been the worst to deal with Yui's absence, going on rampages every now and then, terrorising humans, being a general asshole. Ruki used to give up when it came to taking responsibility for his brothers' actions, but he'd been harsh on Yuma this time, knowing he would hurt Yui by not honoring her wishes.

Kou looked at his brother with uncertain eyes, as he waited for a response from Ruki. It had to be false. All this while they were thinking that they treated her harshly, reduced her to a mere livestock, while the Sakamakis played their part well. Ruki felt distaste for them, wondering how low could you stoop, dishonoring your word, and your sacrificial bride.

"Kou," Ruki started, but could not finish his sentence. He'd been too reckless in his decision making, and now that she was attached to them instead...

"Ruki," Kou said, placing a hand over his shoulder, squeezing gently. He knew it would be too much to bear, to see her go. But they had little choice. They weren't powerful enough. And now that they had failed the Eden project, they were useless to Karlheinz. They wouldn't stand a chance. Even if they joined together their forces, there was little hope left for them.

"Eve... will die?" Azuza said, leaning on the fireplace, holding his scarred arm tenderly, eyes widened in disbelief.

Ruki raise from his seat, shouting, "No!" His breath came in wheezing, as the pain amplified, "I will not let it happen."

"She is our Eve, remember?" Yuma said, his voice a bit shaken.

Ruki threw the book he was holding towards the wall. The last thing they had in the form of a hope was to see Yui choose her Adam. And if the Sakamakis were going to hurt her...

"We need to prepare..." Ruki said, as he looked at Kou in desperation.

"I've only been informed of how it will begin," Kou said, his hands shaking at the thought. "I have no idea or control over how it will end."

"If you refuse to help them?"

"They'll come after us, brother. One is enough to annihilate us."

Ruki lost patience. "I cannot just sit and debate here while she's right there, living amongst them!"

Yuma stepped forward, scared at the reckless behaviour Ruki was displaying. "Maybe we should just wait and devise a plan..."

"There is no plan, Yuma." Ruki buried his face in his hands. "We'll just have to watch her die."

***

Two weeks. He'd been burning in agony since two weeks. A dark place had already formed in his heart, reminding him of the chronic pain he always experienced. Swallowing him, letting him fall further and further into the abyss, until he forgot the concept of his existence, his being. Tendrils of dark, swirling fog formed from beneath his skin, as he reached for the surface. He needed to breathe. His throat constricted, forcing him to take in a big gulp of breath.

Instead of sooty fog, water followed into his body, seeping in through every crevices, into the pores of his skin. An burning sensation was left in the wake, his skin sizzling and wet at the same time. He wanted to breathe. He wanted to breathe. His lungs filled up with water, as he coughed up the same black smoke around him, his feet touching the bottom of the fountain, as he heard a quiet voice in his head.

If you are not the best, you are of no use to me.

Ayato jerked his head up, his book open in front of him, drool on the desk as he had nodded off to sleep. He found Mr. Kurosawa towering over him, a palm over his desk, an annoyed expression on his face.