Chapter 2

Kanato kicked open Reiji's study, clutching his right shoulder as he witnessed the whole arrangement of racks and stacks and piles and mountains of books: SO HUGE! Teddy always liked to read whenever he had the chance. The thought of Teddy brought him on the verge of tears. That Azuza was going to have a painfully slow death. How dare he touch Kanato's prized possession? His mother might not be a part of Teddy anymore, but still Teddy was the only play mate he ever had. Kanato stared at the bookshelves and blew out a sigh.

"I suppose you don't like to study here, do you?" Reiji said, his voice booming in the study.

"Shu told me not to disturb you, but I couldn't help it," Kanato confessed, and sat down on Reiji's arm chair.

Reiji was obviously not pleased. "How dare you say that name in front of me? And who told you can sit here?"

Kanato was infuriated. "I can sit anywhere I want, and you still aren't allowed to lecture me!" He screamed. "Gosh, nobody shouts at me like that."

Seeing Kanato throw that tantrum, Reiji cooled down. Adjusting his glasses, he asked quietly, "What do you want, Kanato?"

"I want you to quickly reassemble Teddy into his form."

Reiji was taken aback. "Who told you-"

"It doesn't matter who told me," Kanato ordered him, "I want Teddy back. If you don't, I shall take Yui san and turn her into a teddy. How nice she would look with buttons for eyes and fluffy hairy skin!" Kanato raised an eyebrow as if to confirm Reiji's concern for Yui.

"For Lord's sake, Kanato, we are not supposed to touch her until the Founders are dealt with." He paused to look at his pocket watch. "It's still a lot of time to go for dawn, and the eclipse won't be over soon yet. Most importantly it's not that human girl I'm concerned about."

"Then what is it?" Kanato asked in his child like curious voice.

"It's-" Reiji started but was cut off by Ayato who stormed into the room.

"Ayato," Reiji said, looking at his distressed appearance. "Why are you so furious?"

"I don't care to explain myself, you idiot!" Ayato thundered at Reiji.

"For all I know you are not allowed to talk to me like that."

"Well guess what? You might be wrong, you asshole." Ayato was fuming, and suddenly started coughing.

"Stop shouting, or else I will make sure you regret it," Kanato warned, but Ayato collapsed on the floor, ending up in a coughing fit.

Reiji did not bother himself with his sick brother. "Anyway, I would like you to leave the study at once."

Ayato choked on something, and that was when things got serious.

"I think he's really sick," Kanato said, his voice sounding somewhat concerned.

Reiji slit his eyes and picked his brother up with one of his hands. "Ayato, didn't you have the medicine I gave to you?"

Ayato wiped the drool off his face. "Tch, I would never have any stupid chemical that you substitute for blood."

Reiji's eyes flew open. "YOU IDIOT!" He rushed towards the shelves and retrieved a syringe. The tension in the air thickened as Ayato spat out blood.

"Why is he suddenly so sour and having coughing fits?"

Reiji loaded the syringe with a liquid, and injected it into Ayato's arm. "Ayato is severely affected with the eclipse. I don't know why but his cravings were always greater than the rest of us, and since I always thought it was due to Cordelia's genes, I never had too much interest into that."