Chapter 30

Reiji heard the squish of Yuma's flesh as he exited the dungeon. He wanted to see a bit more of the misery he had put Yuma through, but there was much more to do other than seeing his beloved familiars destroy Yuma's body. A bat flew across the stairs that descended into the dungeon, scampering across the steps. Ayato had definitely sent a message to him. He waited for the creature to take flight, and was horrified when he got the news. His familiars hadn't had the time to convey the message of her disappearance, since they had been busy with Yuma, and the few that had been assigned for the task of monitoring Ruki and the girl were probably blocked out by Ruki himself.

Kanato stood across from him, his body leaned against the wall, his hands clutching the teddy Reiji had given to him. Reiji didn't have much time to spare for him, so he didn't really try to approach him. Yet, Kanato yelled at him, his voice exasperated. "Yui san has just fled the mansion and you're here fucking popping eyeballs."

Reiji turned towards him. "I don't have time to waste on you, of all people."

"Well, you had time to waste on the commoner," Kanato said, sounding snobbish. Kanato had the talent to turn any adult conversation into an irrational argument at the end.

Reiji collected himself, unable to bear the condescending remarks of his younger brother. "That is none of your business."

"Just as he wasn't your business."

"Shut up."

Kanato shrugged. "Subaru has been prepared to act as a witness."

Reiji looked over his glasses. "And Shu?"

Kanato smiled. "He might be."

Reiji returned that smile back. "I hope you just help that possessive freak into leaving his sacrificial lamb and focusing on the ritual."

Kanato hugged teddy closer. "Is your old lady going to come back for sure this time?"

Reiji laughed. "As long as the ritual goes well."

Kanato shrugged. "I've told you a lot about the body, it won't go wrong in any way I can predict."

Reiji looked at him, unconcerned this time. "I will be keeping her in the dungeons, just in case she tries to flee."

Kanato tilted his head to the side. "Shouldn't you keep her in the third floor torture room? Better access and you won't have to drag her away very far."

Reiji smiled. "For now the dungeons should be good."

Kanato shrugged. "Who cares, it won't be long till she has taken her last breath."

Reiji chuckled. "That's the spirit."

***

Shu was on the terrace, drawing the ritualistic sigil upon the cold concrete, finishing up the chalk in his hands to crumbs. The designs were intricate, detailed and time consuming. By the time he had finished, his hands were covered with the white dust. He wiped the sweat off his brow, unsure of how he should proceed with his attempt to reconcile with Reiji.

In the depths of his heart, he knew that talking to Reiji about their mother and their own tumultuous relationship was like walking on thin ice. Nevertheless, he wanted to improve upon whatever little trust they had with each other. His mother might have been stiff and uncaring for them, only looking to further her position in the Sakamaki household, but he intended to fix things with his little brother at least. And Edgar...

Shu threw the crumbs of chalk in his hand beyond a distance. His frustration had been piling up, and he still didn't know what Reiji had done to him. Reiji had promised him that he won't be harmed as long as Shu just did whatever Reiji asked, and till now Reiji hadn't asked him of anything besides misleading his brothers and lying about their ulterior motives in general. It's not like Shu hadn't done this before. He had hidden many sacrificial brides from Ayato's wrath by lying to everyone that he had finished them himself. He had protected his little brothers from the shadow of his experience in the tundra. He had hidden Kanato's sweets when he had refused to behave in front of the vampire ball. He had done many other vile things he hadn't even told anyone. The one sacrificial bride, Mary, had asked him to take her before the maniac Laito could. He had helped one of them jump from the balcony when she was starved by Reiji.