Chapter 25

Laito watched the needles on the grandfather clock tick down to ten o'clock. Another hour close to getting his revenge. He felt himself getting excited over the fact that he would get to watch her tear streaked face while they slaughtered her at the altar for the ritual. He didn't know what Reiji was up to, but he knew enough to be assured that the little bitch will not get away unscathed this time.

His cheek still stung from the slap. He raised his hand over it, relishing the thumping of his heart as he realised that he could do whatever he wanted with her body once it was useless and on the ground. She wouldn't resist his advances, she wouldn't dare raise a hand against him, for she would no longer have the blood in her body left to do so. It could be different for his other brothers, but he knew that his blood brothers were opposed to the idea of her existing in someone else's company. Be it the Mukamis or the Tsukinamis, it was always going to be a reminder that they had failed to keep their belongings to themselves. Today it was the sacrificial bride, tomorrow it would be their estate, someday it would be their identity and their name.

He watched his older brother tag along the bride as they both entered the mansion. Look at the bitch, he thought. Revelling in all the attention she has. He wondered what might have happened if he did not tell Reiji to be careful around her and not to harm her after they had encountered her at school with the Mukami scoundrels. What might have been the aftermath of the war that started between the founders and the Sakamakis if it wasn't for the weak, pathetic girl involved. What might have happened if Kou had been successful in his plan and their father hadn't intervened in their fight against the Tsukinamis.

He still needed his sleep, he thought. Retiring to bed when within hours he would get to see the little bitch's chest open and her innards exposed was not an ideal thought, but at this moment, Laito couldn't care less.

He stretched against the railing of the balcony, returning to his room and slinking back into his coffin. He wondered what would Ayato do, as he saw the bitch plead for her life before them. The thought excited him the most, as he shut the coffin and went to sleep

***

Yui shut the door behind her, Ayato pounding on it as hard as he could. Her heart fluttered for some reason, something she couldn't point her finger at. Her mind flitted between thoughts, juggling possibilities as she might possibly leave this mansion and live with her father, as Reiji promised, but for two months. She definitely wanted to switch to a day school, though her schedule had been largely nocturnal because she had to attend school with them. Who knows, maybe she will get accustomed to a diurnal cycle when she went back home. Ayato finally stopped banging at the door, and Yui heaved a sigh of relief.

She saw the dress kept on her bed, and decided to start getting ready. Reiji would reprimand her severely for making a single mistake. Her hands unfolded the dress and laid it on the sheets. It was a pretty off white frock with pearls adorning the neckline. The skirt was a sheer, gossamer tulle, fluffy and roomy for her movement. The sleeves ended in a lacy ruffle just beyond the elbows. The back laced up behind the dress.

Yui was never a person who sought vanity or took pride in worldly, materialistic desires. The only thing she did have some passion for was gardening, but as she grew up, that hobby didn't interest her as much. She used to read a lot back at the convent, when she attended the Christian school. Her room used to be overflowing with books and encyclopaedias when she came as a teen. She loved researching biblical myths, and was determined to one day dedicate her service to the lord and become a nun. Her father wanted her to become a doctor, though. She was a bookish person, and had a compassion for living beings.

She didn't think she would be able to reignite her faith for the Lord anymore, though. She still had some hope to make it in the medical field, though. She'd have to slog her time for the medical school, she might really be exhausted by the time she came out of it, and perhaps she might have to give up on it fast because of the time demanded by her hosts for their "activities". But she had finally gotten a chance to be something more than what she was, and she was not going to let go of it so easily.