Chapter 31

Komori Seiji had had enough waiting. He didn't know whether to take the word of the half-blood he ought to have already exterminated according to his duty or wait patiently as the lad promised to give him his daughter back.

There were many reasons he should have pulled the trigger on Ruki for violating numerous rules set by his church. He was a half-blood that hadn't yet come to the Vatican for a cure. He hadn't surrendered himself. He had kept his daughter in isolation for weeks. There were numerous things that Seiji wanted to know about his daughter, but the only thing he was being handed by the Mukamis was the hollow promise of his daughter returning safely to him once he had been useful enough for these fanged heathens. Anything that was so against his morals should have been shot to death by him into the chest with his double-barrel long ago. He should have just staked everyone through the heart and be done with it.

But he realised very soon, that it would just make him more of the monster he had become killing these creatures. He hated being held by a leash, and with his church and the hunter's guild failing him, time and again, he needed to improvise at least this time on his strategy.

He had gone back to the Mukami manor, the sole brother sitting beside him, keeping watch. Azuza looked like he had been injured in a nerf match and patched himself up with everything he had in his first aid. He also had pale skin, even by vampire standards.

"Say, Komori san," Azuza asked, his voice strangely strained, "You kill vampires?"

Seiji knotted up his eyebrows in confusion. He didn't want to talk weather with this little punk. Not when his little daughter was in the mansion, and Ruki hadn't come back to the manor as promised. He shook his head and remained silent, trying to be as still as possible.

"Would you rather hurt me? I know you want to..." Azuza drawled on, his tone was pretty depressing to hear at first. Seiji probably thought about the fact that this boy hadn't gone over to his fridge to drink some chilled blood, since he had pretty much enjoyed his hunger pangs.

This one was a pure nutcase. But which immortal hadn't been at one point?

"I wish you would just leave me alone," Seiji said, struggling to keep his anger to himself. He'd been wasting time here. He should have gone with Ruki himself. He should have reconciled with Yui at least. "Or at least, send your familiars to search for Ruki."

Azuza hung his head, obviously having no answer to his requests. "You should... trust Ruki more. He might be a bit mechanical... but he cares for Eve."

Seiji couldn't bear to stay put. "I need to get out of here." He stood up from the sofa, only to be dragged back down by Azuza's iron grip. The vampire stared at him, his bottomless cerulean eyes boring holes right into his soul.

"You would stay here, and you would wait for Ruki kun to come back." The words directed at him were sharp-edged.

Seiji broke eye contact. What made him so submissive towards this weird kid? He hadn't ever been intimidated by a vampire in his entire career. He knew he had once been feared amongst the demon world as the hunter who never missed his mark. He'd once growled at a troll and it had cowered back into its cave, never to come back again. Then how come he had become so vulnerable at the mention of his daughter being in danger?

He had given her up to the church to prove a point, hadn't he?

The memories had now become hazy, but he was forced to give his daughter to the sons of Karlheinz. He'd been promised that his daughter won't be harmed or killed, but he should have known better than to trust the church. They had manipulated him into doing horrible, horrible things in the past.