Chapter 34

Reiji looked at the unconscious body of the mortal girl with utter contempt. Though she had been changed into a white bridal gown, washed up and cleaned for the sacrifice, he still couldn't bear her filthy body anywhere around him. He imagined his mother, coming back to him. Her pretty blonde hair and blue yes, those he loved to see, those he never inherited from her. She failed him yet again in genetics, as she always did. Laito witnessed Reiji's turmoil from behind the door, as he hesitated to pick her hollow body in his arms. Vampires were built lean for faster movement yet could lift things without much effort, but Reiji wasn't hating the weight of her solid bones. He hated the fact that he was going through this only to bring back his mother.

"Do it already," Laito complained. Reiji turned to face him, his hands wringing themselves. "Why don't you do it then?"

Laito rolled his eyes. "If you had been less uptight, she might have chosen you instead of Ayato."

Reiji huffed. "You didn't charm her either."

Laito hummed to himself, doubtful. "I didn't want her fragile body to shatter with my lovemaking."

Reiji let out a peal of laughter. "Of course. Of course you didn't, motherfucker." He said the last part in a whisper, and Laito squinted at him, annoyed.

"You do know time is running out right now as we speak right?" Laito said, his hands crossing across his chest. Reiji was accustomed to his brothers swallowing insults before, but this was the first time he had seen Laito become a bit triggered.

"The half-bloods have been procured right?" Reiji said, settling down beside the girl. Her blonde locks framed her head like a halo. Reiji didn't notice it before, but she looked like those angels while she slept.

"Yes," Laito said, adding, "Ruki kun couldn't be bothered to join us because he got skewered by a drain grill. Yuma kun is a bit, how do I put it, out of shape."

Reiji smiled. "Subaru and Ayato?"

"Ayato kun insists we put it off till we understand the magic a bit more." Laito chuckled. "I am surprised he found out about the plan so soon. We had always been excited about putting mother to rest forever, but you beat us to it." A shuffle of bedsheets was heard before Reiji stood before Laito with Yui in her arms. She seemed so serene and at peace, Reiji paused to admire her for a moment. How could humans be so alluring while they slept? And while they were awake they were the least tolerable of all species. How polarising and ironic.

"Ayato should be ready for the things to come," Reiji said, smiling. "I do believe his initial attraction for the girl was genuine."

Laito tilted his head. "He explained to me once that he felt like his body was tearing him apart when he wasn't around her." He came closer towards Reiji, looking at the sleeping hum in his arms. Her cheek had been scraped in the process of her procurement. He gently tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear. "For all we know, it could have been an aide from of father to increase the chances of getting a new subject for his Eden project."

Reiji nodded, but he wasn't convinced. Why would Ayato feel so obliged to get her out of the Mukami household in the first place? Those unspoken dangers he always saved her from, were those just for amusement, r did the possessive bastard have some ulterior motive in all of this?

"You don't seem to accept the fact that Ayato kun doesn't care for anyone but himself, Reiji," Laito said, his eyebrows knotting up in worry. "Don't forget that it was him who put our mother into eternal sleep. It's not like he didn't love her, he just had a bit of issues with her. It was nothing more than a sport, a hunt for him."

"You are telling me to trust him?" Reiji raised his eyebrows. It wasn't going to be long till they would know who the mole really was. The one planted the idea inside Ruki's mind that the crows were Reiji's familiars. They would have saved hours if only Ruki hadn't fled into the sewers with the girl.