1

"Ms. Callisto, please explain why you thought it was necessary to set the chemistry laboratory on fire?" Headmaster Rosenberg asked, crossing her arms across her chest. Her green eyes were ablaze with rage, lips curled into a deep frown.

"It was an accident," I said, leaning back into the plastic chair. "I mixed the wrong chemicals." Oops?

Rosenberg scowled. "Do you really expect me to believe that?" She asked.

"I feel like whatever I say won't matter," I said, shrugging. "Am I expelled?"

The headmaster stared at me, calculating her decision. Truth be told, I did set the chem lab on fire, but it wasn't an accident. I didn't mean for the entire lab to catch fire, not to injure or kill anyone, but a distraction.

"No, I won't expel you," the woman said, shaking her head. "Your father pays a lot of money into the academy at to have me kick you out."

Right. Goddammit.

"I'm suspending you for two weeks. You are also on probation for the remainder of your senior year," she said, my heart sinking. I had eight months until I graduated. "I've discussed this with your parents and they agree that this is an appropriate response to you behaviour. Do you have any questions?"

I shook my head. "No, I do not."

"Good. I expect you to do all of your assignments and readings on time. Your mother is waiting outside, you may leave now."

I didn't bother to argue, thankful I haven't been expelled. I grabbed my bag and uniform jacket, standing and left without another glance. I felt like I'd gotten away with murder, entering the office waiting room. Pacing the floor, speaking into the phone with irritation.

"Yes, Alessio," she hissed and I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me whole. "I will call you as soon as we're home."

"Mom?" I whispered, barely audible. She heard me and glanced up, her eyes clouded with worry. She hung up on my father, striding towards me and threw her arms around me.

"Are you okay?" She asked, pulling back, and checking me over. "Tarryn, we are going to have a very serious discussion when we get home."

I groaned. "I expect nothing less. Did you tell dad?"

Mom rolled her eyes. "Of course I did. He will be visiting this weekend."

"Is that really necessary? It was an accident," I lied.

"Tarryn ..." my mom murmured, trailing off, "we will talk about this in the car. Do you need to visit any of your teachers before we leave?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I can meet you in the car."

She gave me one last look before leaving the office. I walked into the hallway, watching as she headed down the main staircase.

When she was out of sight, I bounded towards back staircase. On the last step, the exit doors flung open and Josiah peeked through. His tie hung loose around his neck, shirt sleeves rolled to his elbows.

"Damn girl, I thought maybe you were finally shipped away," he said, grinning, his chocolate eyes glinting with pride. My best friend held the door open for me and a chilly November breeze ruffled my hair. "Did you get the goods?"

I scoffed, stepping out onto the landing. "You can't get rid of me that easily," I said, looking at the girl and guy too busy sucking face to say hello. I reached into my backpack, kicking Kyler in the shin. "Can you stop sticking your tongue down her throat for five seconds and say thank you? These test answers cost me two weeks suspension and probation."