16

"Tarryn, don't you dare leave this house."

I ignored my eldest brother, reaching the staircase.

"Tarryn, get your ass back here," Matthew snapped.

I got to the main door, picking up Gilbert as he ran up to me. Something whizzed past me, and suddenly Josiah blocked my exit.

"Get the fuck out of my way, Joey."

"You can't leave."

"Watch me." I waited for him to move as footsteps came down the staircase behind me. "Move the fuck out of my way, Joey."

"I'm a drug addict, Tarryn," my sister said somewhere from behind me. "That's what they're hiding from you."

I spun around. "What?" My sister isn't a drug addict. Yet I looked at her and knew she told the truth. Her skin was a grey ask, her eyes hollow and lips pale. "I don't - it's- why?"

Carson stood in front of June, shielding her from me. "Let's go in the dinning room and sit. We have some things to discuss."

I scoffed. "Obviously."

Trey and Matthew lead the way to the dinning room, with Skyler, June, and Carson behind me. Sitting down, I noticed Josiah had disappeared at some point. I'll be speaking to him later, making a mental note to ask him who the hell he thought he was for trying to stop me.

I faced June and Carson, Skyler sitting at the head of the table while Trey and Matthew sat on either side of me. I studied June, wondering how long. How long has she been addicted and I didn't know? Could I have done something?

June licked her bottom lip. "I'm addicted to heroin, bub."

"What?" I whispered.

"I've been addicted for over a year now."

"I had no idea. I'm -"

"Don't. Don't apologize or anything. This is my fault," my sister murmured. "Not even mom knew I relapsed."

"You relapsed? When?"

"When I found out about mom. I'm so sorry, Tarryn, I didn't want to tell you because I thought you'd see me differently."

"I ... I don't, June. Why would you think that? You're my sister. No matter what." I reached out and held my hand to her. She took it and smiled, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Thank you, bubba."

"So this is what you've been hiding?"

"Yes. It's why June had to stay back and why Trey decided to stay with her." I glanced at Trey, in awe. He stayed because he felt more likely he could help, given his studies in addiction. "We couldn't risk having June with us, that's why we had to split up."

I swallowed. "Okay, thank you for being honest."

"I'm getting treatment, there are specialists I'm working with and trained agents that know how to help me," June said, "but some days are harder than others."

I nodded. "I understand. How ... who?"

June closed her eyes and I felt bad, the pain in her expression. "After Erik and I lost the baby. I just spiralled."

"What important now is that she's getting treatment and she's with us. When this is all over, June will be in a treatment facility," Carson said, matter of factly. June narrowed her eyes at him.

"What happened to Erik?" I asked.

"We're not together. He broke up with me. Mom helped a lot but this second time, I didn't even tell anybody... I mean, I wouldn't have. Carson and Skyler found me in the shower. Passed out."

I could only imagine their reactions.

"Tarryn, we didn't tell you because we didn't want you to worry," Skyler said, but I shook my head.

"I'd rather you tell me. Wouldn't you want my trust instead?"

"Fair point," Matthew said and I ignored him, watching as June stood.

Carson laid his arm across the back of her seat, reaching for her hand. "Wait, we have something else to tell Tarryn and we think we should do it as a family."

I glanced at June. "I'm really happy you're getting help, Junebug."

She smiled. "We'll have a girls day okay, at least try to, given the circumstances. Okay?" I nodded and watched her walk out of the dinning room. I glanced around at my four older brothers, wondering what else they had been hiding.

"Tarryn, the dreams you've been having, the one where you're in the woods -" Carson began. "They're flashbacks. The little boy in the woods is your brother."

"One of you then?"

Skyler shook his head, swallowing. "No. The boy is your twin, Haisley."

***
I know this is a short chapter but I'll be able to update more frequently this was. Please vote and comment. From now on, it'll be the siblings, Ivan, Sam, and Rhea as main characters.

Did you see this coming?

Lots of care - Charlie 🧡