7

Hey!! Sorry it took me so long to write this. TW: this chapter contains mentions of human trafficking.

Trey dropped me off at the store entrance, telling me he had to grab something at the bookstore. I didn't feel bad lying, knowing that my siblings were being suspicious and hiding something. I climbed out of the passengers seat, pausing.

"Hey, uh, can I borrow some money?" I asked, offering a small smile. Trey groaned, but reached into his back pocket for his wallet. He handed me a ten dollar bill.

"I expect you to pay me back," he muttered as I took the bill, knowing damn well I wouldn't. I stepped back and watched my older brother pull away, with a promise he'd be back in twenty minutes or less.

It gave me time to meet Josiah in the little cafe. First though, I did go into the store and buy a box of tampons, y'know, to make my lie a little more credible.

After wasting five minutes in line, I brushed past an older woman, my patience wearing thin.

"Joey," I called and collided with him, wrapping him in a bear hug. "I've missed you."

He hugged me back, his chest rumbling with a soft chuckle. "It's been three days."

I scoffed, pulling away. "Felt like a lifetime," I mumbled. "I don't have much time. Trey will be back  soon."

He nodded, leaning against the brick wall. "What do you need me to do?"

"My dad ... he doesn't want me to dig into anything," I said, shaking my head. "Whatever he's hiding, he doesn't want me to know."

"Shit ... do you think he knows something about your mom? Her disappearance?"

"Maybe - I don't know. Something feels ... off." I glanced around. "I can't do anything without any of my siblings or dad breathing down my neck so I need you to get more information."

Josiah rubbed his cheeks. "Information about what?"

"I found crime scene photos in my dads email, like I said. A woman named Eleanor. I have never heard my parents talk about an Eleanor."

"That's not much help, T," he mumbled. "Got a last name?"

"Nope."

"Fan-fucking-tastic."

"Can you help me or not, Joey?" I hissed, harsh than I anticipated.

"Yes, I'll help. Give me a few hours."

"Can you come over later? To the house?"

He nodded. "Yeah. Should I come through the front door or your bedroom window?"

"Front door."

"Will June be there?" He asked, a mischievous grin playing on his lips. I shoved his shoulder and he chuckled. "I'm kidding."

I snorted. "No, you're not," I said, shaking my head. "I should go before Trey gets back."

"Okay. I'll make copies of anything that seems interesting. Anything else I should look for?"

"Find anything you can about Sons of Solomon. My mom said that Kessler was involved with them, somehow."

"Okay," he said, taking a deep breath. "I'll see what I can find."

"You're the best," I said and we hugged, Josiah squeezing me tight. "I have to go, and remember, don't tell my brothers or sister."

"Tarryn, wait," he called and I turned around. "Are you sure you want to dig further? Maybe ... maybe your dad is keeping this from you to protect you."