21

I was anxious to meet my twin.

Would he like me? Do we have anything in common?

Does he know where our mother is?

"Hey bubba," Trey called, breaking me from my thoughts. He leaned on the library door. "They're here."

My heart thrummed, anxious.

"I know you're nervous but I'm sure he's just as nervous too."

We reached downstairs and I noticed my twin standing next to Skyler. He was taller than him, with dark brown hair that curled behind his ears. His dark eyes scanned my brothers and sister, before reaching mine.

Haisley smiled. "Hi Tarryn."

I smiled. He opened his arms, dropping his bag. I stepped into his arms. "Hi Haisley," I mumbled into his shoulder. "How was your drive here?"

"Good, thank you."

We stood in awkward silence, staring at each other.

Ivan appeared at the entryway, clearing his throat, gaining everyone's attention. "Why don't we all get something to eat?" He said, scratching his beard. "You know, instead of standing around and looking at each other. It's kinda awkward."

June chuckled, wiping her eyes. "Good idea."

We all moved to the dining room where we sat down, Haisley sitting across from me and beside Trey and Josiah. They had struck up a conversation, asking him if he played any sports.

"I play lacrosse," my twin said, shrugging. "Other than that I haven't played many sports. What about you?"

"I play on the rec hockey team in college," Trey said, "I don't have time to play on the actual team though. Tarryn used to play soccer until ..."

"Until?" Haisley asked, pinching his eyebrows together and glanced at me. Until I went to Juvie ... I shot Trey a glare and hooked my thumb at Carson.

"Carson did competitive swimming until his final year of college. He almost went to the Olympics."

"Why didn't you go to the olympics?"

"I broke my collarbone in a rock climbing accident with these two fools," my oldest brother said, gesturing to Matthew and Skyler.

June asked Haisley what he liked to do,

Skyler and Carson whispered to each other. They kept glancing at Haisley, which I thought was rude. I kicked Skyler's leg. His face scrunched in pain and he looked at me, eyes narrowing. "What was that for?"

"For being you."

***

I paced my bedroom, unable to sleep. My nerves were frayed, an itching beneath my skin that I couldn't quite scratch. Though I felt a joyous tug at my heart when I thought about my twin brother being down the hall, bunking with Josiah.

I walked into the hall to see Haisley looking absolutely confused.

"Hey."

Haisley jumped and spun around. "Oh, hey. I - I was trying to find the kitchen, for a drink of water, but this place is a maze ..."

"It's downstairs, first of all," I said, smirking. "I'll show you."

"Thanks."

"Are you settling in okay?" I asked as we went downstairs together. "Josiah is being friendly, right? And Matthew? They can be ... overprotective."

"Yeah, I sense they don't trust me ... which I can appreciate. I am no one to them."

"You're not no one," I hissed, shaking my head."You're our brother."

"Do you remember me? Do you remember that day?" My twin asked as we reached the bottom steps.

I nodded. "Well, some. I remember some." I licked my lips, my memories foggy and unclear. "Do you remember me?"

"Some, bits and pieces. I didn't know I had a twin though. My father ... our father ... Wayne  talked mostly of our mom."

I felt a pain in my heart and my breath hitched, forcing me to clutch my chest. "Uhh, fuck," I muttered, hissing. Haisley stopped and gave me a curious, concerned look.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" He asked, eyes wide as they searched for signs of injury. "Tarryn, are you okay?"

I grunted, nodding. I took a few deep breaths. "It's my heart. My stupid heart," I muttered and realized he had no idea what I meant. "I have a bad heart. Had it since I was five."

"You mean ... like your heart is failing? Heart failure?"

"If I wasn't on medication, yeah."

Haisley didn't say anything for a moment. "Do you have anxiety too?"

"Yeah ... how-"

"It sounds stupid but I can sense it."

"No, that's not stupid," I said, shaking my head as we entered the kitchen. "I sense your nervousness, your uneasiness. I know you - I know you must feel out of place."

"I - I do." He took a glass from the cupboard and filled Ou with water from the fridge. "It's hard. I went to being an only child to having four brothers and two sisters overnight."

"Sounds like a nightmare."

"More like a dream come true."

+++