8

"W-what?" I whispered, shaking my head.

My dad had been shot.

I felt the air leave my lungs, and soon, I was drowning again. I felt like I was dying. I couldn't regulate my breathing and it terrified me.

"Tarryn, focus on me. Slow your breathing," Carson said, sitting with me on the porch steps. He rubbed my back. "C'mon bub, deep breath in, and hold it ... now let it out. Good, keep going."

My head throbbed and it felt like someone was banging on my heart with a hammer. I forced myself to keep breathing, my focus shifting to the night sky.

Skyler crouched down beside me, brushing a strand of hair that dangled in my eyes. His dark eyes were hard, sadness rippling through. "Tarryn, we can't go see him yet."

"I want to see him," I cried, tears streamed down my cheeks. "I need to see him."

Carson wrapped his arms around me and I buried my face into his chest. "We need to get going, okay?" He murmured, kissing my hair. My brother kept his arms around me, tight and comforting as he pulled me off the porch step.

"Where are we going?" I asked, hiccuping, leaning into his side. An officer in uniform escorted the three of us to a black van, opening the door. Skyler climbed in the backseat first, beckoning me to follow him. "What about the others? Where's Joey?"

"We have to go," an officer said, and Carson gave a gentle nudge. I slid in beside Skyler, my eyes burning from all the flashing red and blue lights. Carson got in next, sandwiching me between him and Skyler.

I kept fumbling with my buckle until Skyler took it from my hands, clicking it into place. "Where are we going?" I rasped, my voice scratching from all the crying.

Carson ignored me. "Don't worry about that right now," he said and the car lurched forward, speeding down the driveway. I glanced over my shoulder, watching my dads house disappear out of sight.

+++

We waited at the airport, Carson and Skyler on either side of me. There were men and women in black surrounding us, armed to the teeth. "Why aren't we going to the hospital? I told you I want to see dad," I said, staring out large window overlooking the runways.

"Tarryn, it's not safe," Matthew snapped, shifting in his seat. He sat across from us. "What do you not understand about that?"

"Matt, don't talk to her like that," Carson hissed. I closed my eyes, wishing I were dreaming. Everything, my whole world, was crumbling right in front of me and I couldn't do a damn thing to stop it.

"Where are we going? Why isn't June and Trey here?" I looked at Carson, searching his face for answers. "Please, don't try to hide things from me."

"Someone tried to kill dad."

"Well, no shit," I muttered. "Who shot him? Is this connected to mom?"

Carson pinched the bridge of his nose. "Yes ... it's quite possible. Tarryn ... we don't know much either. We are in the dark, as much as you."

"I don't believe you," I hissed, standing up from the uncomfortable plastic seat. I gripped my hair, pulling it.

Skyler leaned forward, frowning. "Don't you think if we knew, we would tell you?"

"No, actually I don't." I scoffed. "Skyler, you spend more time with dad than any of us, and you're telling me you have no fucking idea why someone would want to kill him?"

"Tarryn, we both know mom and dad had enemies. The only thing I know is that dad is laying in a hospital bed and mom is missing. Other than that, I have no idea."