10

TW: violence and mental health

+++

I had an aunt I had no idea about. Eleanor. Dads twin sister. Murdered.

... whoever killed her also killed Jed.

"How do you know that?" I asked, my mind racing. "Did you look at the reports?"

"The wounds are the same. They're messy but each stab wounds are replicated on both."

"It's not a coincidence?"

"No." He took a deep breath. "I ... Skyler and I bribed forensics to send us the photos. The coroner determined that both wounds were made with a eight-nine inch knife. Twice in the neck and once in the heart."

"So it's the same guy?"

"Seems that way." Carson leaned forward, knocking his knee against mine. "Hey, how have you been feeling? Your heart, I mean. Are you experiencing any side effects?"

"You are not my doctor, Carson."

He nodded, lips pulling up in a thin smile. He leaned forward to peer at my face, the silver chain he wore with a skull pendant dangling from his neck. "I am your temporary guardian, I need to know if you experience any abnormalities than usual."

I shook my head. "I don't want you to be my guardian," I said, harsher than intended.

He chuckled, rubbing his mouth, his eyes closing. "I don't want to be your guardian either," he murmured, taking a deep, sad breath. "I didn't sign up for this, Tarryn, but it is what it is. I want to be your brother, not your parent."

Somehow, his words hurt and made me feel better. "Look on the bright side ... I'll be eighteen in a few months. Whatever happens, you won't have to deal with me much longer."

"That's not what I meant," he said, snapping his head up and narrowing his eyes. I knew what he meant, my brother would do anything for me. He didn't want the responsibility of someone else, and I couldn't blame him for that.

"It's okay. I'll likely die in a few years anyway. Bad heart, right? Don't worry so much," I said, reaching up to pat his shoulder, but couldn't help but smile.

Carson snorted. "You're such an ass, you know that?"

I shrugged, laughing. "Yeah I know."

My brother shifted, facing me and reached out to grip my hand. The gesture surprised me and his eyes softened. "Don't talk about dying, okay? I won't allow it. Until mom and dad come back, you're stuck with me."

"Yay," I muttered, shrieking when he pulled me into him.

"I'm sorry, I take it back okay?"

"Do you think mom's will come back? Do you think someone is hurting her?"

"Mom ... she didn't want us to know about Sons of Solomon, to be involved with their businesses ... but she wouldn't talk about it with any of us. We're in the dark too, bub."

"What businesses? Human trafficking?"

Carson stiffened. "No. Mom and dad would never," he said, but I could hear the uncertainty in the cracks of his voice. "Sons of Solomon are into some illegal shit, but not human trafficking. Not that I ..." he trailed off, squeezing his eyes shut, but I could easily fill in his words - not that I know of.

"How can you be sure? Dad had contracts with Ruby Thorndyke." I shuddered, the idea making the hairs on my neck stand up.

"I know, Tarryn. Look, I don't know much about why mom and dad were involved with them, all I know is that they were also working with the FBI and other agencies to bring the trafficking ring and the people behind it down."