33

Haisley and I remained hidden in the dimly lit room, the tension in the air palpable. We could hear Wayne's heavy footsteps as he paced back and forth in the hallway, his voice growing louder with each passing moment. My mother's soft pleas were like a haunting melody, one I had hoped to forget.

Haisley turned to me, his eyes filled with determination. "We can't stay here, Tarryn. We need to find a way out."

I nodded in agreement, my heart pounding. "But how? He's watching our every move, and Mom..."

Haisley interrupted, his voice resolute. "We can't count on Mom right now. We have to rely on ourselves."

"I'm not leaving her behind -"

Haisley ran a hand through his hair. "I know, but we've got to get out of here. We'll come back for her."

My heart felt like it was trying to break free from my chest, racing faster and faster with each passing second. The air in the room grew heavy, thick with a suffocating dread, and my breaths became quick, shallow gasps. The walls seemed to close in on me, the room shrinking until it felt like I was trapped in a cage of my own fear.

I clutched my chest, my fingers trembling uncontrollably, as if I could physically slow down the relentless pounding of my heart. The world around me blurred, the once-familiar surroundings turning into a nightmarish distortion. Wayne's menacing presence loomed large in my mind, a malevolent shadow that threatened to swallow me whole.

Thoughts raced through my head like a torrential downpour. What if he found us? What if he discovered our escape? Memories of his unpredictable rages flooded my thoughts, a terrifying slideshow of his violence and cruelty. I felt paralyzed, as if the room were closing in, smothering me.

I gasped for air, but it was elusive, slipping through my trembling fingers like water. My legs gave way, and I sank to the floor, desperate for breath. The world around me grew hazy and distorted, and the room spun in a disorienting whirl.

Haisley, my anchor, rushed to my side, his voice a beacon of hope in the chaos. "Tarryn, focus on my voice. You're safe now. Breathe with me." His calming presence began to penetrate the storm in my mind. "I'm guessing you have no medication."

"Next time I'm being kidnapped, I'll ask them to grab it," I snapped, and shot my twin a glare. Slowly, I tried to regulate my breathing, syncing it with Haisley's rhythm.

"Inhale ... exhale. Inhale ... exhale."

His words were a soothing melody, guiding me away from the edge of panic. With each breath, the tight grip around my chest began to loosen, and the room gradually came back into focus.

Time felt like it stretched endlessly, but I clung to my brother's guidance, allowing his voice and his reassuring demeanor to keep me grounded in reality. As the storm of fear subsided, I could feel myself returning to the present, my racing heart beginning to find its steady rhythm.

"We need to find a way out of here. We need to get you to a hospital." Haisley glanced around, searching for a way out. The room was sparsely furnished, with a single window covered by thick curtains. As I approached it, I noticed that it was nailed shut from the outside. Escape seemed impossible.

Still, we had to try.

As Haisley and I frantically searched the room, a sense of despair began to settle in like a heavy fog. We had managed to slip away from Wayne's watchful eyes, but now we were trapped in this confined room with no apparent way out. Every door was locked, every window sealed shut, and our initial hope began to wither away.