14

"Why are you such a nerd?" Matthew asked, collapsing beside me on the soft, grey sofa. We moved into the den after a long, drawn out dinner. Ivan asked a dozen questions and Carson asked Ivan questions and Skyler asked questions and then everyone talked and talked and talked. I tried to keep up, I really did try, but their words went in one ear and out the other. So not only am I confused as fuck, but I have this period of time that lapsed and I don't know what happened.

I could blame it on jet leg but I'd be lying to myself. A heavy fog loomed over me, my thoughts running in circles, not able to make sense. I hated this feeling, this feeling of ... I didn't know how to explain it.

The book I'd been reading, I: The Creation of a Serial Killer by Jack Olsen, was ripped from my hands.

I glanced up, blinking, at Matthew. "Whaa?"

"Yeah, I'm taking this and you're going to bed," he said, throwing the book towards Skyler whom sat in a recliner. I slapped away my brothers hands as he tried to lift me up off the sofa.

"Stop it, Matty. I am not a damn child you can just manhandle," I hissed, giving him a cold glare. "Leave me alone."

"Tarryn, you're flipping through pages and staring at the floor," he snapped. "You're exhausted, go to bed."

"You go to bed." I kicked out my leg, but he dodged it and caught my wrist. "Let go, dickhead."

"Hey, hey," Carson said, striding into the room, glancing between us. "Tarryn, no name calling. And Matty, let her go."

I scoffed, pulling out of my brothers grasp. I kicked him for good measure. "He deserved it."

Our oldest brother poked the fire, adding another stick of wood. He turned to face us, sighing. "I'm sure he did, but let's try and be civil to each other."

"Excuse you?" Matthew scoffed.

"Don't get your hopes up." I shuffled down to the other end of the sofa, pulling the throw blanket off the back and wrapped it around my legs, trying to get comfy. Carson glanced over at Matthew, the two sharing a knowing look. Fucking telepathy or something, I swear. They always knew what each other was thinking.

"It's almost midnight, bub -"

"Oh my God," I snapped, clenching my fists into balls. "If dare tell me to go to bed, I might just strangle you all."

Skyler snorted. "I'd like to see you try, kiddo."

I ignored him, staring at Carson. "I will go to sleep when-"

"I'm not going to tell you to go to bed, Tarryn," he muttered, rolling his eyes. "As I was saying, it's almost midnight, you've got to take your next dose of pills."

"Oh."

"If you wanna stay in here until you fall asleep, I'll carry you upstairs," he said, striding over to the small table on the other side of the room, where Trey and Sam played cards. June had gone to her room after dinner, claiming she needed a nap. We were barely here for six hours and I'd seen her for about half an hour.

Something was wrong ... something was wrong with her. I didn't know if my brothers knew her secret but I'd be willing to bet my life savings they knew more than me. They always seemed to, anyway.

Carson dig into his backpack and took out three pill bottles, sorting out my dose, before walking it over to me. "I know you're capable of looking after your own meds, bub, but until this is all over, I will keep them with me." His tone held no room for argument, strict but calm. I nodded, taking the pills from him and dry swallowing them. No point in arguing with him, I'd lose. I didn't have an issue with him keeping my medication, especially after what happened with the undercover officer, the corrupt officer, that switched them.