25

Haisley and I snuck into the room where four laptops were set up and a wall was covered with photographs and sticky notes.

Two of the agents had just left, talking about the fight Josiah had started with Jude and going to make sure everything was okay. We didn't have much time before someone came looking for me or Haisley or back to the room.

"What are we even looking for?" Haisley asked, studying the wall as I took a seat at one of the laptops. I cracked my knuckles, opening the laptop.

"Anything that might lead us to Wayne."

"Wayne?" Haisley blurted. "Why?"

"I believe he has our mom."

"Do you really believe that?"

"I have no doubt in my mind." The evidence suggested that someone took her, I was willing to bed my entire life on it. "Search the papers. Anything that might resemble

"I have this - a photograph of Wayne entering a building, the Starlight Lounge."

I snatched it from his grip, swallowing at the image. A man, my biological father, was photographed walking into the lounge, wearing a black leather jacket and blue jeans, his black hair tousled. He had a phone to his ear, talking to someone. This was the first time I seen him outside my memory.

"Does this mean they know where he is?" My twin asked, breaking my thought.

"Hey, what are you two doing?" I froze at the voice of Skyler, glancing over my shoulder at his looming figure. "You're not allowed to be in here."

+++

"I told you not to get involved with this investigation," Carson said, his tone cold, "and you blatantly ignore me."

"I -"

"I don't know what to even say ... I am sick and tired of repeating myself, Tarryn." He slammed his hand down on the desk, a loud smack echoing across the library. I winced but didn't back down.

"And I'm sick and tired of sitting around while mom
is out there with a fucking psychopath," I hissed, taking a step forward. "I fucking hate it here, doing nothing."

"I don't care if you hate it here. We're not here for fun."

"It was my fault," Hailsey blurted beside me, his voice meek. "I asked her to-"

"It doesn't matter. You are both not to go in that room again or you will have agents babysitting you. Do I make myself clear?"

"Carson please-"

He rubbed his face. "Do I make myself clear?" He asked again, his eyes darkening. "If you do this again, you will have an agent following you everywhere you go."

I swallowed, nodding. "Yes."

+++

I entered the kitchen where Matthew buttered a bagel, licking the cream cheese off the knife. I studied him, guilt wracking my body. I had never said what I did to him, ever, and I hated myself for it.

"Matty."

He looked up and his eyes softened when he noticed me. "Bub. What are you doing up so late? You should be in bed, sleeping."

Why wasn't he ignoring me, giving me the cold shoulder? He should hate my guts. "I could say the same to you ..."

"I can't sleep."