23

"Dad is awake," Trey announced. "He's on the phone now with Carson."

I stood and rushed forward, following Trey. My siblings were behind me, all of us heading to the living room. Carson paced in front of the fireplace, speaking in a low, calm voice.

"Yeah, dad we're all okay ... yes, even Haisley. Okay ... yeah, she's here. Just a moment." Carson glanced up and met my eyes. "Dad wants to talk to you, Tarryn."

"O-okay," I said, nodding.

"He doesn't have long to talk, the nurses want him to rest. Nothing too stressful, keep it short." Carson held out the phone and I took it, placing it close to my ear.

"Dad?"

"Tarryn," he whispered and I heard him sigh. "I am so sorry-"

"You have nothing to apologize for, dad," I murmured. "How are you? Do you feel okay?"

"I'm okay. Don't worry about me okay? I - no matter what, I love you, Tarryn."

"I love you too, dad," I said and we spoke for a moment longer, before Carson took the phone back. Each of my siblings got a minute to talk to him. I felt relieved that he woke up. My dad woke up.

I knew he wasn't my biological father - but he'd always be my dad. He raised me and no one could take that away.

+++

Haisley and I helped wash the dishes after dinner. Everyone was in a good spirits after speaking with our dad. We were reassured that agents were at his hospital room and wouldn't be leaving his side, even if he demanded them to, which was a very likely thing for him to try and do. He was a stubborn old man and that worried me.

"What do you think will happen now?" My twin asked, taking the glass I handed him to dry. He glanced down at me, shrugging a shoulder.

"What do you mean?"

"Now that your dad is awake. That's a good thing. Maybe we'll find mom."

"I really, really hope so," I murmured, passing him a plate to dry. "Dad confirmed that it was Wayne who tried to kill him which is weird because he stabbed Jed and our aunt."

"Maybe he's getting sloppy, impatient."

I hummed. "Yeah that seems to be the case."

"Will you tell me about it? Will you tell me everything that's happened? No one has really taken the time to tell me what's really going on. Maybe going through it will help maybe think of something."

"I'm sorry no one has taken the time to tell you what's happening, Haze. Skyler or Carson should have explained."

"It's okay, not your fault."

"After dinner, I'll explain everything. You're right, now that we know Wayne is responsible for shooting my dad, something might stand out."

+++

"Tarryn."

Someone shook me awake and I came face to face with Carson. I groaned, rolling over in bed. Haisley lay beside me.

"Tarryn, you need to wake up. You've got a meeting with your therapist."

"Carson leave me alone. I don't want to go to therapy."

"That's too bad, bub. You have fifteen minutes to get downstairs. Sam will have her on a secure line."

"I'm not talking to her," I said, louder, knowing this wouldn't end well for me. Haisley stirred beside me.
Carson licked his lips, irritation flashing in his storm grey eyes.

"You are going to therapy Tarryn or you'll be breaking parole."

"I don't care."

"I don't care that you don't care. Tarryn, be downstairs in five minutes or else..."

I squinted, leaning forward. "Or else what, Carson?"

"Or else you're grounded."

"What are you gonna do, take away my books?" I sassed, and Carson rubbed his mouth, frustrated and on the verge of snapping. "I don't want therapy, Carson. It's not helping me or at least

Matthew stepped in the bedroom, seeming to have eavesdropped. He glanced at our older brother. "Hey, let me talk to her. Carson, you're too demanding and it's not working. Go outside and get some air."

Our older brother opened his mouth to say something but ended up deciding against it. "I don't want therapy," I said, shaking my head

"Tarryn, you don't have a choice," Matthew said, his eyes soft and gentle, something I wasn't used to see in his expression. "You don't have to talk but you have to attend."

"No, I don't-"

"It's not optional."

I huffed, hating the idea of therapy. To be honest though, I was surprised they hadn't tried to get me in earlier than this. "Fine. Okay."

"See? Now, that wasn't too hard."

"Fuck off."

I pushed past him and left the bedroom, a snoring Haisley left behind. Matthew followed me, shoving his hands in his sweatpants pockets. "You and Haisley seem to be getting along."

I nodded, going down the stairs. "Yeah."

"That's good. Has he talked to you about your father - I mean, Wayne?"

I shrunk back at his question. "No. Why are you even asking that?" I looked at him and noticed his messy hair and the dark circles under his eyes. "Haisley doesn't know anything about Wayne. Skyler already asked him."

"Skyler took it easy on him. He's gone soft."

"Matty, I love you but you're idiotic at times. If Haisley knew anything about Wayne -" I felt bile rise in my throat at the mention of my biological fathers name. "If he knew, he would tell us."

"You're biased. He's your twin, you'd say anything to protect him now." I turned to Matthew and he had a suspicious glistening to his eyes. "Come on, you know I'm right."

I smirked. "No. I want the truth, so if he knew something, I wouldn't protect him. But you're right he is my twin. And if you can't deal with it, that I actually want to know him, you can eat shit. Stop being so stoic and unapproachable, it's getting in the way of you making actual friends and not the online friends. Stop pushing away people because you're too afraid of rejection that it'll make you alone and miserable."

Hurt crossed my brothers expression. He turned without another word, leaving out the front door. I may have crossed a line this time.

Matthew had social anxiety which is why he was into computers and gets angry easily. Not at other people, but himself because he has trouble with meeting new people. I threw that all in his face.

Guilt picked away at my mind, but this time I deserved it.

+++