34

I lay awake with my head on Haisley's chest, staring up at the ceiling. There had been a lot on my mind, constant worries invading my thoughts. We were trapped with an evil, malicious man. I wanted to go home to my big brothers and sister. The sun has set but we could only see streams of daylight through the curtains. We'd kept the curtains closed, buried in hopelessness and frustration.

My chest pained - like I actually thought my heart might burst at that very minute.

The dark room seemed to expand and contract with every beat of Haisley's heart, a sinister dance of shadows that echoed the turmoil swirling within me. The ceiling above seemed like a blank canvas, yet no matter how hard I tried, I could only paint it with hues of dread and despair.

Wayne's twisted face haunted my thoughts. His every word, every action was a grotesque display of humanity's dark side. Every corner of the house held a menacing aura, every creak of the floorboards was a prelude to another episode of terror. I thought I heard screams throughout the night below us, in the basement. I hadn't slept, scared, out of my mind with fear.

The longing for the comforting arms of my siblings was a relentless ache, a gaping void that no amount of hope could fill. I missed their laughter, their teasing. The faces of our big brothers and sister flashed before my eyes, their smiles now bittersweet memories.

Haisley's breathing was a rhythmic lullaby amidst the cacophony of fears. His presence was a sliver of solace, an anchor in the tumultuous storm that threatened to engulf us. But even the strong, reassuring beat of his heart against my ear whispered a tale of uncertainty.

"I promise we'll get out of this, Tarryn," Haisley whispered, his voice a tender thread of hope weaving through the crushing silence of the room. His words were meant to comfort, but they carried a weight of desperation that mirrored my own. "I will do whatever I have to do."

The world outside seemed a distant reality, a realm where the morning sun cast away the demons lurking in the dark corners of the night. But here, in the clutches of Wayne, dawn was just a harbinger of more dread, each rising sun a witness to the unspeakable evil that walked amidst us.

The door clicked, making my heart thud faster. The door swung open to reveal Wayne, clad in a crisp black suit.

The sight of our father twisted into a harbinger of dread, sent a cold shiver down my spine. His face held a menacing smirk that betrayed the darkness that had taken root within him. "If either of you try something, you'll regret it immensely."

The sound of the key turning in the lock was a cruel reminder of the sinister reality we now found ourselves in.

As he unchained us, the cold metal of the cuffs leaving our wrists, the semblance of freedom was nothing but a cruel joke. We were far from free. The sinister grin that curled on his lips was a silent threat, a warning of the unseen chains that bound us to the terror that lay ahead.

"Breakfast time, children," he said, in a more chipper tone, his words reverberated through the cold, barren room, a grotesque mockery of normalcy. The innocence of a family meal stood desecrated by the vile circumstances that brought us here.

Haisley helped me stand up, my heart feeling like it would burst.

We followed him through the ominous hallway, the house that was once our sanctuary now morphed into a labyrinth of dread. Each step felt like a descent further into the abyss, the familiar surroundings now a grotesque stage for the macabre reality we were enmeshed in.

As we stepped into the kitchen, the sight that greeted us was a juxtaposition of the mundane and the horrific. The table was set for breakfast, a sinister attempt at portraying a semblance of normalcy amidst the tempest of terror that raged around us.