24

Haisley rested against the couch back. We were in the library. "Why did you have a parole officer?"

"You don't waste anytime."

"You don't have to tell me," he said quickly. "I just ... I don't know. I'm sorry I asked, Tarryn. It's none of my business and -"

"I killed a boy." I looked up to see my twins eyes widen. I licked my lips, not surprised at his reaction. My answer usually got that response when I told people, like employers who asked why I had a criminal record. It's the reason I spent so many hours with my mom, I couldn't get a job.

Haisley cleared his throat. "What was his name?"

"Vinnie Zhao."

"Why did you kill him?"

"He just moved from Montana with his parents and I was the one that showed him around at school," I said, closing my eyes for a moment as the memory was flashing in my mind. When I opened them, I glanced down at my hands. "At first, he was sweet. He brought me some chocolates from my favourite bakery in town. Then he started showing up at my classes and walking me to each even when I declined. He had this charming way about him. I don't know. I guess I was compelled to him in some way."

"We went on a date or two, but it wasn't until we were at a beach party and some Liam, a friend, made this comment about my ass - Vinnie completely lost it at this kid. He broke his nose. That's when the red flags were waving. I should have noticed before but like I said, he just was so charming."

"Anyway, the night after the fight, I told him that I didn't want to see him anymore. He backed off a little because I stood my ground and did it in a crowded room. He started leaving flowers in my locker and he'd follow me around school. I don't know what he saw in me."

"Vinnie followed me up to the roof one day when I was sneaking outside to vape. He tried ..." I paused, taking a deep breath. This part was always the hardest to tell. No matter how many times, it doesn't get better. "He pinned me up against the wall and kissed me, he slipped his fingers in ... I was afraid of him. I was afraid what he'd do to me."

"I fought back and pushed him. We struggled for a few moments before he had us both at the edge of the roof. I caught him off guard and out of fear, I pushed him off the roof. He died and I was arrested."

Haisley wrapped his arm around me, pulling me in tight when he noticed a tear escape down my cheek. "I was charged with manslaughter and because the police believed me, they lowered my time in Juvie with a plea deal."

"But he tried to ... how can you be in the wrong for defending yourself."

"I know. Mom was so pissed. She got me the best lawyer but because I had pushed him when he wasn't touching me, they charged me with manslaughter. I spent one year in Juvie."

"That is so ridiculous."

"I know."

"Hey so you want to help me with something?" I asked, smirking. "It might get you in trouble if we get caught."

Haisley grinned. "Trouble is my middle name."

+++

The room in Ivan's mansion that the FBI used as  their office had been set up on the other side of the house, in a small spare room on the first floor.

"I wanna know what they've been investigating, what information they're gathering. I need a look at it," I murmured, walking down the hall. Haisley walked beside me, hands in his sweater pockets.

In front of us, Josiah stalked towards the library, not happy to be in on this plan. "This is reckless, Tarryn," he said, lowly. "Carson told you to stay out of the investigation."

"Are you on their side now?" I hissed, poking his back.

He whipped around and glared at me. "I'm not on any sides. This is dangerous. What if you see something you - what if you see something that -" he cut himself off, rubbing a hand over his face.

"Tell me," I whispered.

"I'm scared you'll see something and have a panic attack."

"I won't."

"Tarryn. You can't promise me that."

"I'll be quick. Please, Joey."

Josiah groaned, glancing at me with uncertainty. "Fine but if you get caught, I don't know what you were doing and I was not involved."

"Fair enough."

Josiah gave me one last look before entering the library, leaving Haisley and I out in the hallway, listening.

There was a loud crack followed by a cry of pain.

"What the fuck was that for?" Jude shouted at Josiah.

"I have no idea what you mean." Josiah played dumb.

I smirked, the plan off to a great start.

"The fuck you mean, I have no idea what you mean," Jude mimicked my cousin. "You just bitch slapped me for no reason."

Josiah chuckled. "Well what are you gonna do about it?"

"Come here you little shit," Jude called. I heard a mixture of no fighting and hey, cut it out. I glanced at my twin.

"That's our cue."