6

Not edited 😆

+++

I walked up to the house, tugging my jacket around me, trying to keep warm. It was pouring, rain pelting against my cheeks, a harsh wind flicking my hair and sending a chill down my spine.

The house was quiet, lights off, only the sound of wind howling as I snuck through the back door, easing it closed.

Everything was in darkness and an eerie feeling crept through my bones. "Hello? Is anyone here?" I called out, walking further down the hall. My heart thudded with adrenaline, something didn't feel right.

I tiptoed towards the kitchen, and the closer I got, the more fear and uneasiness built up and threatened to smother me.

Turning the corner, and entering, something caught my eye. I stepped forward, squinting, realization dawning.

I screamed, the body of Jed laying facedown on the floor, his head turned slightly enough for me to see his face.

Eyes lifeless, blood trickling from his mouth and nose. It was everywhere. Blood pooled around him, a sucky crimson red splattered on the white island.

"What do we have here?"

I tensed, the voice coming behind me. I turned, slowly, and sucked in a breath. A masked figure stood in front of me, gripping my mother by the hair.

"So, who's next?" The masked figure asked, croaky. He threw my mom to the ground and pulled a gun, clocking it.

My mom snapped her head up, eyes wide. "Run, Tarryn. Run."

I woke up with a gasp, a panicked sob escaping. I scanned the room, searching for danger, my heart thudding against my chest like it was about to explode.

Matty must have left sometime during the night as he was no longer beside me. I rubbed my eyes, groggy, and threw the blankets off. I hated mornings, waking up without an ounce of energy. 

I stood, a wave of dizziness crashing over me. I pulled on a pair of my dads old slippers and sweater, reaching for my phone from the nightstand and the yellow pill bottle, stuffing them both in my pocket. 

On my way down to the kitchen, I noticed it was quiet. Where were my brothers and sister? Usually I could hear them bickering from a mile away. Quietness wasn't a concept within this family. I hoped my dad hadn't left yet, because we had some things to discuss. The dead woman being number one. 

A soft meow caught my attention and I bent down.

"Gilbert," I said, scratching behind his ear, "are you hungry? Come on, follow me." I picked him up and he rested his head on my shoulder, purring loudly as we entered the kitchen. 

"Good morning, sweetheart." My father leaned against the island, decked out in a black dress shirt with a tie, buttoned and not a single wrinkle. He has a tattoo that began at his wrist, travelling up his arm, all the way to his shoulder blades. I studied him, entering the kitchen. He may have been dressed to the nines, but I could see the exhaustion in his features.

"How did you sleep?" He asked, straightening, his eyes glazing over with concern. I wanted to blurt out what I had found last night in his computer, but decided against it. He probably wouldn't tell me the truth anyway.