26

I couldn't sleep through the night, knowing that Wayne had been just hours away from us. I tossed and turned, unable to get even an hour of sleep. If I did sleep, it was riddled with nightmares. Nightmares that kept me up all night. Either way, it was always about Wayne. I couldn't escape him.

"Hey." I glanced up and noticed Carson standing in the doorway. He wore black running pants and a loose grey t-shirt, noticing he hadn't shaved in a while. He picked my sweater up off my bedroom floor, leaning back against the wall and crossed his legs. "Come on, let's go outside for a walk."

I shook my head. "No thanks."

He sighed. "Tarryn. Let's go outside."

I hadn't spoken to my oldest brother in a day. I ignored his attempts to talk, going out of the way to ensure he knew I didn't want to engage. "Tarryn-"

"I don't want to talk to you, Carson."

"I know, bub, I know. We haven't been seeing eye to eye but I'm only doing my job, Tarryn."

I chuckled. "I'm glad my life is a job to you."

"You know that's not what I meant, bub." I glanced away from him. He uncrossed his legs, holding out my sweater. "I want to talk. Please Tarryn."

"Okay, fine, whatever," I snapped and I shrugged on the navy sweatshirt. I followed my older brother out of the bedroom and down the stairs and through the back hallway. We reached the library French doors, which Carson opened and I ducked under his arm, leading the way into the garden.

Carson followed me over to the stone bench, sitting down with me. We sat in silence for a few moments before my older brother turned to me, taking in a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Tarryn. I should have been more sensitive to your situation. You've been under a lot of stress and I should have recognized it and helped you more."

He was sincere, not just apologizing for the Hell of it. I turned, clenching and unclenching. I wanted to forgive him but I was shush so angry ... I tried to use my breathing techniques. Breathing in for seven second, out for four. I did it, once, twice, three times before I could turn and look at Carson.

"I understand. I know you're just trying to protect me ... but I need more information. Please don't let them keep me in the dark ... it just make my curiosity a worse and you know what they say ..."

"Curiosity killed the cat?" He asked, eyebrows furrowed. I nodded, smirking. "Okay. I'll ask them to be more ... transparent with us."

"That's all I wanted," I murmured, smiling. Carson shifted and rested his arm around my shoulder. I leaned into him and rested my head on his chest, listening to his heart beat. It was calm and it eases my anxiety.

"I love you bub."

"I love you too, Carson."

+++

Josiah leaned on the balcony overlooking the garden, resting his elbows on the railing. "What are you planning? Tarryn, I'm not stupid."

"I'm not planning anything," I said, shaking my head, crossing my arms.

"Then why did you sneak into the office of four agents? Why did you want to know -"

"I don't have a plan, Joey. I wanted to know - to know about this man who is just hours away, possibly closer."

"What do you plan on doing with the information?" He asked again, which annoyed me to no end. i threw my hands into the air,

"I don't know, okay? I don't know but I'm sick and tired of being stuck here without knowing anything." The story of my life. "What do you think I'm planning?"

"I think you want to know the location so you can go rescue your mom." The audacity. I hadn't even thought of it ... I mean, not really. I shook my head, denying his accusation.

"I hadn't thought about it ... until now."

Joey paled. "No. Forget I said anything."

"Is that what the other think? That I'm going to runaway and try to find mom?" He hummed and I scoffed. "God, you're just as bad as my brother."

"I don't care. Promise me."

"Promise you what?"

"That you won't do anything stupid."

I smirked. "Yeah, I promise."

+++

I sat in the my grandfathers office at the end of the main hall on the first floor of the house. I stared at the computer screen, bored out of my mind and starting to get annoyed at the woman on the screen, Dr. Warner.

"TARRYN."

I snapped out of the daze I'd been in, focusing in on Dr. Warner. "Yes?"

"You're dissociating," she stated, tilting her head. "How have you been sleeping?"

"Not great." At the mention of sleep, a yawn slipped through my lips. I covered it up and tried to focus on my psychiatrist, who was trying to build a rapport but I had no interest in participating today.

I had no interest in therapy, not today. I twiddled my thumbs, glancing up at the clock in the study. Seven minutes to go. "Tarryn, I am going to prescribe you a sleeping medication. Zopiclone. I think it'll help."

I nodded, hoping she was right. "Okay."

"I think we'll end early today. I'll see you tomorrow." Dr. Warner said, dismissing me. I logged off zoom and sat back, thoughts racing. I wanted more information and I was bound to get it. I stood up and went to search for Rhea. I had a plan and I needed her to do it.

+++

So sorry for the long wait and the short chapter but I updated so you can't be mad at  me haha

Thank you for reading!! Vote and comment, much love, all the best, take care - Charlie🧡