23- The Lonely Crusaders

PRESENT DAY

PRESENT DAY

THE AWKWARD TENSION IN the car was palpable. Even with Fox's tendency to talk, blabber on about the most random things at times, he was dead silent.

Words seemed to escape him, especially with Dicks hard glare on the road and tight grip on the wheel.

He fidgeted with his fingers in his lap, tight lipped smile forced onto his face.

The man beside him was just so intimidating, and while Fox knew his attitude was mostly because of the situation at hand, talking a bit couldn't hurt, right?

Still, he didn't say anything.

But he wanted to.

Wanted to get to know the man better, ask about everything. About Veronica, as well, because god how his head spun trying to grasp it all.

Like what kind of lovers quarrel did the two of them have that caused so much? And why the hell didn't Fox know she was Lynx beforehand? Even with all the signs? How did he not pick up on it?

Not only that, but so many questions surrounding the case too. Surrounding Rachel.

Kai knew Veronica was one of the smartest people at their bureau, that much was evident with her knack for solving things so quickly.

But hey, he was too. He was even dubbed a nickname and praised for it, at least before the woman had come along.

Completely out of the blue, too.

Don't get him wrong, he harboured no animosity towards her. Just that...he wanted some credit. It wasn't quite that Veronica ever failed to give him any, because that was just her humble nature. No, nothing like that.

He just felt at odds sometimes, out of place, and with everything happening now, he felt more out of sorts than usual.

Dick still kept his eyes ahead, revving the engine a bit more as the car shot forward.

"You think this guy is behind that family?" Dick broke the awkward silence, glancing sideways at Fox before adjusting his eyes back on the road.

"Why are you asking me?"

A small, breathy laugh parted from his lips. "You're the FBI agent."

At this Fox too chuckled, "I don't think my opinion is much different from Ronnie's."

Dick rose a brow, "You think the same thing? Could've sworn I heard you telling Kory something different."

Fox wasn't too sure why he was being so...talkative to him now. Part of that uncertainty made him uneasy. At the same time, it was welcoming in a way, at least the tension was dissolving a bit. "It's not that I disagree with her, just that there's so many possible routes she hasn't thought of yet."