3- The Case

2018 (PRESENT DAY)

2018 (PRESENT DAY)

DAYS AT THE BUREAU tended to be hectic, if you could call it that.

Between some agents trying to find criminals and others just trying to do paperwork, it was always bustling and in motion. For Veronica, however, her days consisted of the first.

The choice to become an FBI agent was not her primary option, in fact, she'd been trying to get away from crime altogether, but fate had other ideas in store for her. Plus, with her knowledge of the inner workings of illegal business, it worked out quite well.

Amidst all the chaos of her life, her past and everything in between, the bureau had become a home of sorts. A home where albeit days still did consist of gruelling work and constant reminders of her old life, she found refuge in. And though days off apted to be nice, Veronica hated taking them.

Working kept her mind busy, and that meant less focus on other things.

Which is why she sat in her office, playing JavaScript Snake. She was supposed to be at her apartment, yes, but she would much rather work.

Even though, this wasn't really working per se but, still. She tapped the keys quickly, trying to keep her snake from going outside the border but failing horrendously. She'd always sucked at this game. Sighing, she leaned back in her chair, staring up at the ceiling and spinning herself around.

"What do you mean she's missing? I thought they had her in custody?" A muffled voice from the director's office flowed through, Veronica stopping her spinning and turning to look at the wall. Her office happened to be right beside the directors, which meant more often than not she could hear what they were saying.

It was a pain sometimes, especially when she was trying to concentrate on a case.

"She was, but she disappeared. Nobody knows where she went." Veronica could hear the director say, and she furrowed her eyebrows. Where who went?

"Are you meaning to tell me the only lead I had suddenly disappeared? What do you want me to do now?"

"Find her."

"Are you kidding me? I've been on this case for a year now! I'm not going on a wild goose chase again. You can find another agent, I'm out." Veronica could hear a door shut and then stomps down the hall. Raising a brow she turned back to her computer, confused. What girl?

She could hear the intercom on her desk buzz before the Director's voice filtered through, "Agent Parker, you there?" Veronica clicked the 'receive' button, before speaking.

"I'm here, sir."

"Good, report to my office, please." Was all he said, before clicking off.

Veronica had a feeling she already knew what this was about, whenever other agents couldn't crack a case (which was extremely rare) or whenever they needed help, the Director would call in Veronica.

She was (according to him) the best of the best. Though, she'd have to see about that. Opening the door to her office and swiftly entering the one next to hers, she sighed. She had just finished a case. Too much always got to Veronica, stress and whatnot.

"Agent Parker, take a seat."

Veronica obliged, sitting down and crossing her legs. It was a habit of hers, one Selina had taught her. 'A lady never sits with her legs open. A lady sits with confidence, poise.'

Veronica had quickly crossed her legs then, Selina giving a nod of approval. Veronica found herself liking that, people being proud of her. It made her heart swell.

'Good, now what would you like to eat, doll?'

"I have another case for you, one I think you'll find quite intriguing." The Director explained, standing up and walking over to his filing cabinet.

Veronica nodded, eyes roaming around the room. The blinds were half-open, only letting in some daylight. The walls were a sad gray, but the rest of the room was filled with wooden acacia filing cabinets and a desk.

She felt jittery, always did when in the presence of someone like him, people that could make her or break her within a second. Truthfully, she'd only ever been in here once, when he was praising her for cracking a case they'd been trying to for years on end.

But even then, she never got a full view of the room, having only really stood in the doorframe. She had to admit, it was nice. The Director took his place in his seat once again, this time with a thick manila folder in his hands. He held it out to her, and she took it carefully.

"We only found out about this a year ago, but ever since we've been trying to track the girl down. My last agent on the case finally had a break, because the girl was taken into custody. But then, out of nowhere, she just disappeared, and so she gave up," He said, leaning forward with his hands clasped.

So that's what it was about.

Veronica flipped through the folder, skimming the various images and papers about the mystery girl with black and purple hair.

"And that's where I come in?" She quirked a brow.

"Correct."

Veronica looked up, closing the folder and placing it back on his desk. She took a steady breath. This case, if she took it, would it end up like the last? Bringing back vivid memories, practically torturing her every waking moment each day? She didn't know if she could take it again, and so soon. Especially considering the details she'd just read. Most of the time, if cases hit too close to home and triggered episodes, she'd take breaks between them.

"I'll have to decline."

The Director looked taken aback. "Decline?"

Veronica took a deep breath, "Yes."

The Director rubbed his hands over his eyes, looking weary and defeated. "Parker, we need this case solved. There's a little girl at risk here. Please."

Though Veronica's entire being was willing her to say no, to leave this case behind, the other part of her could think back to when she was in the same situation.

Alone on the streets, petrified out of her mind. She couldn't imagine somebody else feeling that pain, let alone if there was somebody out there able to help but wouldn't.

And so she went against her better wishes. With a hasty nod, she took the folder.