10- Disappearances

GOTHAM CITY 2008

GOTHAM CITY 2008

VERONICA HAD NEVER ONCE thought of teaming up with Batman and Robin, let alone discovering Batman was actually Bruce Wayne. It was shocking, and was definitely something she'd have to adjust to. Ever since the discussion between the four about teaming up, Veronica and Selina had been temporarily staying at Wayne Manor. The girl still didn't know exactly what was going on between Selina and Bruce, however.

Neither one had spoken on the subject, and kept rather quiet about it.

Veronica didn't mind, they could tell her whenever. If the two needed their privacy, Veronica would give it to them.

A plus to staying at the Wayne Manor, though, was that Veronica got to spend more time with Dick. She'd be lying through her teeth if she said she didn't enjoy the time her and Dick Grayson spent together.

Because in all reality, Veronica had grown extremely fond of the recalcitrant yet timid and kind-hearted boy. He offered a sense of comfort to her, something she rarely had. It felt like pure bliss, and Veronica didn't want it to end.

"Hey," Veronica spoke softly, standing against the door frame of the boys bedroom, clad in her red plaid pajama bottoms and black tank top. He looked up from his computer, a smile finding its way into his face.

"Hey," He replied, patting the spot next to him on the bed. Most nights the two would do this, Veronica would come into his room and they would fall asleep watching TV.

However, tonight Dicks mind was preoccupied with other things, particularly the Joker.

Veronica could see this, not only from the criminals face on his computer screen, but also the way Dicks brows were furrowed and he looked extremely stressed. The girl studied everything displayed on the screen. There were floor plans, Joker's kill count, basically anything they had ever found on the guy was on the screen in multiple different tabs. "Dick?" Veronica asked, looking at the boy next to her, concern etched onto her face.

"Yeah?" He asked, not looking up from the screen.

"What are you doing?"

His focus shifted to her then, as he ran a hand through his hair roughly. "I'm trying to track the Joker, or find anything that might help us take him down," Dick admitted, letting out a frustrated sigh.

Veronica nodded in understanding, reaching forwards and closing the laptop. She knew how much the Joker stressed Dick out, and she wouldn't sit by and watch as he drove himself mad over it. "Dick," She started, "I know you want to help, but doing all this isn't your job."

He laid back on the bed, arms behind his head and he stared up at the ceiling. "But it is. I'm supposed to be Batman's sidekick, you know?" The girl nodded, laying down next to him, hair splayed out behind her.