19- Can't Catch A Break

HIS HEART BEAT SOFTLY, soft intakes of breath the only sound to be heard in the otherwise quiet room

HIS HEART BEAT SOFTLY, soft intakes of breath the only sound to be heard in the otherwise quiet room. They laid entangled, her head on his chest and legs brushing against each other's. Veronica sighed in bliss, and Dick brushed a strand of hair away from her face, staring down at her. She could feel his eyes on her, and met his gaze without reluctance. She easily got lost in it, the honey brown eyes that never seemed to end.

"Do you think they heard us?" Veronica spoke—referring to their earlier activities—a mischievous grin and laugh parting from her lips.

Dick chuckled, "They might've heard some of it."

"You think they'll bring it up though?" She questioned, a blush coating her cheeks. Knowing Gar and Fox, they'd probably never let her live it down and that was not something she looked forward to enduring.

"I highly doubt they won't, with how loud you were screaming I k-"

She immediately slapped her hand over his mouth, the hues of pink on her cheeks turning red.

"Dick!"

"You were screaming that too."

She rolled her eyes, face heating up from embarrassment. The girl had sobered up mostly, but a small buzz still ran through her body. Although Veronica had been completely honest with her earlier words, meaning every one of them, she wondered if she would come to regret it. Immediately, she came to feel guilty for even thinking such a thing, but couldn't help it.

She was afraid.

Dick looked down at the girl, her furrowed brows and seemingly lost in thought expression. "You alright?"

The girl quickly nodded against his chest, "Yeah, I'm fine. Just...thinking."

"Mind telling me?"

"It's nothing really, I guess I'm just scared. What if something happens to you? Or..." she trailed off, fiddling with her hands when Dick brought his up to entwine with hers, giving them a reassuring little squeeze.

"I promise nothing will happen, okay?"

Although his words were soothing, Veronica still had worries plaguing her mind. In their field of work, if that could be the term to use, something was bound to happen. She couldn't shake the feeling no matter how hard she tried. She couldn't place her finger on what, but it just felt off. It felt as though a new danger was looming, but she couldn't decipher what it meant. Was she just being paranoid?

Things just felt uneasy.

Like the calm before a storm.

"Okay." She mumbled back softly, snuggling in closer to his warmth. It was nice, but the peace was soon to be over. They stayed entwined for a few minutes longer, though Veronica could have only sworn it was a few seconds. No time ever seemed long enough with the man her heart was so bound too.