16- Caught

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

GOTHAM CITY, 2008

HIS TOUCH LINGERED ON HER LIPS, soft and gentle. She kept replaying that moment over and over on repeat in her head, subconsciously touching her lips, as a reminder that it had actually happened. It was special for Veronica. It was her first kiss, after all. Her first anything romantic. A small smile graced her face, as she thought about the previous night while she studied. It seemed like something that had happened only in her dreams, but it was real, and it wasn't imaginary.

A soft rap on her doorway startled her out of her thoughts. She expected to see Dick there, but when she looked up from her books she saw Bruce instead, his arms crossed and a slight smile on his face.

"Hey," She said, and placed her pencil down on her textbook and turned all her attention to the man in her doorway.

"Hi," He began, and walked inside her room. "I wanted to talk to you," Bruce spoke, his voice gentle and calm like it always was.

The girl knitted her brows, tilting her head to the side in confusion. "Alright..."

He took a seat on the edge of her bed. She could tell he was slightly uncomfortable, most likely because he was still quite new to this mentoring thing. He placed his hands in his lap, and took in a deep breath. "I want to know how you're feeling...after everything with Dent."

Veronica sighed deeply. She didn't like talking about it very much, it only caused her to revisit the gruesome scene. "As good as anyone could be, I guess."

Bruce pursed his lips, "It's okay not to be alright, Veronica." He spoke, his words piercing right through the girl's heart. She knew it was okay not to feel alright, but she didn't like feeling that way. Which was the problem. She didn't like the bad emotions. So she shut them out. It was so much simpler. She'd been doing it as long as she could remember, and she didn't have any plan to stop.

"I know," She said, her voice barely a whisper. The man studied her features, trying to get a read on the young girl. He had always found her more interesting than most young people he'd met. Reserved, yet open. Tactical, witty, strategic, kind. More mature for her age.

"I know how you feel." Bruce sighed, "It's not a nice feeling, but you can't keep your emotions locked up inside of you. Take it from someone who did it, still does it."

Veronica let a ghost of a smile dance across her face, but it faded away as quickly as it came. "Well, you're one to talk then, Mr. Bruce. But, I see your point."

Bruce looked at her, unsure of what to do. He tentatively raised his arm and wrapped it around the girl gently, pulling her into a hug. The action caught her off guard, but she hugged him back nonetheless. It felt weird, yet comforting, somewhat. Like it was Bruce's way of letting her know he was there for her if she ever needed it.