Chapter 16

Sungjung moved quietly through the shadows. The remaining prophets outside didn't even notice her, or they just pretended they hadn't. She made her way close enough to the central building, and she did her best to listen in on the conversation inside.

She could faintly hear Namjoon speaking to someone, and if she remembered that voice correctly, it was Darian. That wasn't a good sign, and neither were the words Namjoon was speaking.

She froze, and her heart ached for Jungkook and Nari and their daughter. She knew what was going to happen to the baby now that the prophets knew of her existence. The whole plan was to dodge the prophets for Nari's entire pregnancy, and Sungjung felt completely blind-sided by what Namjoon was telling his grandfather. He could have warned her, but she could have also expected this outcome. Namjoon had to report that prophecy. He obviously feared the phoenix more than the prophets.

She did her best to move closer, but the shadows stopped just short of the central building. That was obviously done by design so that sneaky vampires like herself couldn't sleuth around, but the prophets simply forgot to sound proof that entire building.

"He is going to harness the baby's power and destroy everyone. In order to save their daughter, Nari and Jungkook will do nothing to stop him."

Sungjung squeezed her eyes shut. "He's not betraying his sister," she whispered to herself. "He won't give her up."

"Help me retrieve Nari, and you can do as you wish with her. You can imprison her and Jungkook, and you can even imprison me. But that phoenix must be stopped. He's growing in strength by sucking vampires dry of their abilities. We found close to eighty of them completely weakened, and not just from starvation. He is a primal hunter, and he likely learned that from Areum who he has had almost the longest." Sungjung clasped her hands over her mouth, and tears escaped her eyes. "I have a vampire from the Jeon clan just outside as a peace offering until this is over. Use her as you wish."

Namjoon was right; he was a monster.

----

Hoseok breathed deeply as he controlled where the fire escaped from him. He did his best to burn it as hot as he could, and he could feel the metal around his wrist and ankles turn red from the heat.

"Just a little hotter," Sam whispered. "You can do this, Hoseok."

Hoseok nodded, and he pushed his fire to the limit. At least, what he thought was his limit. He yanked his left wrist against the shackle, and he felt it mold against him. He almost had it, and his breathing sped up in anticipation for when the shackle either broke or melted entirely.

"Come on, Hoseok." Sam and Kwangsun whispered together. They both smiled when the first shackled broke, and they did their best to help Hoseok rip the other shackles off.

"Holy shit! That took forever." Hoseok stretched his arms out and sucked air through his teeth at then pain from his tense muscles. "Let's go get Nari out now."

A laugh cut him off, and he turned slowly. The phoenix started clapping at what feeble attempt they had made to escape.

"Very good, Jung Hoseok. I'm so happy to know the real extent of your ability, and the other vampire... Eunjin? Her ability will also do quite well."

"I'm your problem! Leave the rest of them out of it."

"Oh, you're my only problem?" Sarcasm dripped from his mouth, and Hoseok shuddered as the phoenix sauntered towards him. "You're wrong. You may have done this to me, but it was your world that cast my kind aside. We had to create this hell!"

He was too close to Hoseok. Sam and Kwangsun stayed behind Hoseok in what attempts they could make to support him. The phoenix managed to get closer, and he got into Hoseok's face. Hoseok closed his eyes.