Chapter 30

Jungkook rocked his daughter without any other thoughts. He was tired, he was angry, and he was hungry. Everyone started avoiding him with the exception of Eunjin and Yoongi, and they only interacted with him because of Hyerin.

He did his best not to think about Nari, and that pained him more than her leaving. When he did think of her, he ran through every possible scenario of whatever elaborate plan she had created. Between her and her brother, all of them were bound to get killed by strong lack of communication.

He felt wounded that she didn't trust him enough to share. They were destined, and he told her everything.

Namjoon took a seat next to Jungkook, and he gently pried Hyerin away from him. "You need to eat," he said. "Hyerin will be fine with me for a few moments."

Jungkook just stared at Namjoon skeptically, and Namjoon shrugged. "I won't stand up with her if that helps."

It did, but Jungkook had a lot of things he wanted to say. Emotions bubbled in his throat, and he knew Namjoon needed to be the one to hear them since they were practically family.

"I am going to marry your sister." Those were not the words he wanted to say first, but they were out in the world before he could bite them back. "I was going to tell her, but Amarian stopped me to tell me she was in labor. I didn't think bringing up marriage when Hyerin was coming was a good idea."

Namjoon rolled his tongue around in his mouth as he considered that. "I know you're going to marry her."

"Also, the two of you running off with your stupid plans really pisses me off, and now Taehyung has run off. I'm really tired of this shit."

Namjoon cracked a small smile. "It runs in our blood. Nari was our parents best kept secret and plan. Daliania had her secretive plans, and so did Dalianus."

"And all of them are dead," Jungkook said flatly. "That's a theme the two of you shouldn't repeat."

Despite the sting of the words, Namjoon barked out a laugh that startled Hyerin. He slammed his mouth shut when she cried out, but humor still swam in his eyes. He took his time soothing her, not missing the distrustful looks Jungkook shot him.

"Do you think Daliania knew about eternal souls and planned to become a wraith?" He held back small chuckles as he asked.

"I wouldn't put it past her." Jungkook didn't see the humor. He only saw that looming reality.

"Well, if she did, it didn't do much good." Namjoon calmed himself and leaned back. He curled Hyerin on his chest and smiled as she fell back asleep.

"What if it did? How many times did you watch our deaths, Namjoon? How many different ways did you and Nari witness Taehyung answer her call?" Jungkook slouched back in the seat. "She was terrible, and she had us fooled for so long. But Taehyung... He deserved so much more."

"You're talking about him like he's dead." Seokjin startled both of them when he made himself known.

"He might as well be. The last time one of us ran off with one of the twins, she almost died."

Namjoon flinched, but he didn't say anything. Seokjin regarded him for a moment before turning back to Jungkook. "Nari is smarter than Namjoon."

"But she's just as foolish."

No one could argue that point.

"She's more powerful," Namjoon quietly added. "It doesn't take much to be a weapon, but it takes so much more to be a savior. The things I see her do in every version of the future I see... she's incredible."