Chapter 32

Yoongi gripped Eunjin's hand as they followed Seokjin and Areum. Jimin stayed to the shadows, but Yoongi could feel the biting cold radiating from that darkness. He tried to catch glimpses of him through the trees, but it seemed like he'd only show himself to Eunjin.

"It's going to snow soon," Areum said. "Within the next day most likely."

Eunjin squeezed at Yoongi's hand. "Joonie and Nari kept talking about the snow."

They continued to run trying to find the set of trees that would lead them to the land of the Phoenix. Yoongi and Areum both had intense anxiety about returning, but what choice did they have?

They stopped at a familiar area and looked around. "Areum, what did you pick up about the Phoenix when you were there?" Yoongi asked.

"You're not going to like what I'm about to say," she said. "I think he can take on our abilities. Those chains were nothing like we'd ever seen, and if I focused on it enough, I could feel them thrumming."

Eunjin got really uncomfortable. "Um, what would happen if someone were to..." she stopped for a moment, trying to think of the best thing to say. "If someone were to use their ability to destroy said chains?"

"This is just an assumption, Eunjin," Areum reassured. "But if that is the case, then we are fucked."

"You were this close," Eunjin held two of her fingers close together, squinting her eyes to emphasize further, "to making me feel better."

Areum just shrugged.

"Time in the land of the Phoenix works differently," Yoongi reminded them. "The days are much longer, and the nights are very short. He needs the sun."

"That puts us at a disadvantage." Seokjin crossed his arms and looked around. "Hey, if he can take our abilities, and he has Hyerin, what do you think he plans to do?"

'May I offer a suggestion?'

All of them except Eunjin jumped and staggered back when they heard Jimin.

"Dude, what the fuck?" Seokjin was staring at Jimin with mild looks of distaste. They had realized Jimin hadn't actually spoken aloud, and the idea of him being in their heads disgusted them a little.

'I can keep it dark.'

Eunjin tapped at her chin and tapped her foot. "I really should have spent more time studying and working with wraiths. This knowledge would have been valuable."

"Can't you also just touch him?" Areum asked.

'Phoenixes are rare creatures that cannot be harmed by the magic of this land.'

"How is it that when Jimin was alive he was as dumb as a rock, but now he knows everything?" Yoongi pointed at the wraith, but he pulled his hand back in fear of getting too close.

'I'm not Jimin.'

"Oh, that makes perfect sense," Seokjin said with acute sarcasm. "You just stole our friends face."

'I stole his soul.'

"You stole his what now?" Eunjin's face was blank.

'Oh, Kim Eunjin, don't be so surprised. I almost had your soul too.'

"Do we actually need the wraiths?" Areum asked. "I feel like we are just playing a very dangerous game with them."

Yoongi wrapped his arm around Eunjin's shoulder and pulled her into his side to keep her away from Jimin. She leaned further into him to seek what comfort she could. Jimin's words scared her, but Yoongi was there reminding her that her soul was intact. She was relatively safe.