Chapter 17

A/N: please check out this amazing drawing by bangtanbeanz
Also check her Instagram artjjaeng
❤️❤️

It was a bloodbath, and Kim Seokjin was euphoric. He missed hunting; he missed the terror in the eyes of his prey. However, what gave him greater pleasure was looking across the desecrated banquet hall at Areum. Her glee was suffocating, and he wanted to bathe in it.

He also wanted to run far away. He saw what love was doing to his baby sister, and he wanted no part of that obstacle. Of course, he also considered Hoseok and Jina. They weren't dependent on one another. They balanced each other out, and if he could manage a love like that, he'd take it. He chose to ignore Jungkook and Nari. He considered them a special case; there was no comparison to them.

Seokjin wiped the blood from his mouth, but he paused when he felt the floor shake. He noticed the others stopping as well, and he moved to the nearest window. A giant cloud of dust filled the air on the other side of town, and he smiled.

"Eunjin is having fun," he said. He felt more than heard Areum come up beside him. When had he started being so in tune with where she was in the room? Was it immediately after rescuing her, or did that date back to when they were young?

"I always did admire her dramatic flare," Areum noted. "She's adorable, but she's so terrifying."

"That was Park Jimin's favorite part, and I think it's Min's least favorite." Seokjin looked at her reflection in the window for a long moment. "It's interesting just how different the two of them are, but I'm worried for her."

"What is there to worry about? Min Yoongi loves fiercely, if anything." Areum faced Seokjin and placed her hand on his arm. "If this is about his attachment to Hana, don't worry. In our time in captivity, I heard Yoongi calling out for Eunjin to come save him. I think those were the times when he wasn't delirious from pain. I know he called for Hana, but I think he called for Eunjin more."

Seokjin thought about it for a long moment. Yoongi would have never been his first choice for his sister, but Jimin wasn't either. He also knew that he had no say in who his sister fell in love with. Hell, no one had a say in who they fell in love with.

"You know," he finally said, "I thought it was going to be Taehyung. They became so close so fast after Jimin and Daliania died. I chose not to question it because they both needed someone."

Areum hummed. "And you were okay with that?"

"No, but I wouldn't be okay with anyone. Eunjin is incredible. She's a great leader, and she's so smart. I'm proud of her. She's saved us more times than I can count. No one is worthy of my sister."

Areum laughed a little. "Are you getting emotional, Kim Seokjin?"

"Yes. Eunjin is worth that."

——

Nari could hear everything in the other room. Hoseok got out of his chains, and the Phoenix had watched the entire time. She was panicking, and she wanted nothing more than for her brother to come waltzing through the door to save her.

She held back a few tears.

She breathed deeply and focused on all the lessons Namjoon had taught her about her abilities. She wasn't good at any of the ones that would help her, and she knew that if she wasn't careful, she could hurt herself or the baby.

Focus. Jungkook meditates. She closed her eyes, and she started tugging at the connection she had with Jungkook. She felt the pull in her chest, and she was standing in the middle of a city, a crumpled building surrounding her, and Jungkook evading attacks from someone wearing... Is that a fucking gas mask? She didn't have time to ponder on that.