Chapter 12

The hoard of vampires slipped through the darkness. The majority of them were still too weak, but the small amount of blood given to them was enough. All of them made it out of the Land of the Phoenix alive.

Yoongi gripped tightly onto Eunjin's arm. He felt like they were being chased, but not by any living creature. He felt Jimin and Hana close behind him, and he wanted so badly to turn around to see Hana again.

But the need to stay close to Eunjin began outweighing his desire to see his dead wife.

He wasn't aware of where they were going until Eunjin came to an abrupt stop. He stared ahead at the looming maze of Jeon Manor, and relief swept through him as if this was the place he belonged.

"Min, you can let go now." Eunjin turned her head to look at Yoongi. His scars were slowly healing, but she knew some of them would be permanent burns.

She turned to fully face him once he released her arm from his grasp. She gently reached out to touch the raw skin of his cheek, and she frowned.

"How do you think that creature was burned?" She whispered. It was a thought she hadn't had before this. Her only thoughts when facing the creature were about Jimin and Yoongi and how to get the fuck out.

It never occurred to her to think any further regarding the creature. What was his name? What type of creature was he? What happened to him?

She went to ask more questions after a brief pause, but Yoongi shrugged while his facial features changed slightly to show his thoughts ran similarly to hers.

Jina stood beside them both and sighed. "He has a problem with the Jung clan. The only thing I can think is they are burns that Hoseok can produce."

A frail vampire stepped forward at that. "They are." Eyes turned to her, and she made herself seem stronger than what she currently was. "Hoseok was forced to burn something when we were very young."

——

"Do you remember me yet?" The creature smiled at Hoseok, his cheeks crinkling and cracking.

"I don't remember." Hoseok's mind was reeling on memories of his childhood. Why was he so afraid of fire? What caused him to be so afraid of the one thing he had so much control over?

He thought back to his grandfather who was the head of his clan when he was very small. He remembered anger and hatred, and up until that very moment, he always assumed that it was directed at him.

He really and truly looked at the creature. There was something tickling the back of his mind, but he couldn't grasp it. He started to feel desperate. "Who are you?"

The creature's smile stretched further somehow. "Who and not what?"

"I'd like both answers," Nari answered before Hoseok could respond.

Nari never took her eyes off of the creature. She kept one hand on her stomach while she sipped at the blood packet Jina had given her.

"Why are you drinking that like it's a fucking juice box?" Hoseok asked as he stared at her.

"Why don't you have a better memory?" she retorted quickly.

The creature chuckled at their antics. "It's odd how all of you seem to make jokes when faced with danger."

"You're not dangerous," Nari said. She toed gently at two bugs crawling around her shoes, and she smiled at them. "We would be dead by now if you were. Every single vampire wouldn't have made it out alive if you were. Stop playing around. I'm tired of it. Who and what are you? And while you're explaining that, tell us what you fucking want."

"Yeah, what she said!" Hoseok shouted.

It was quiet for a moment. The silence engulfed both Hoseok and Nari, squeezing them in the all too uncomfortable moment. Nari wanted to shift around, but she stayed still and continued to drink her blood packet.

Then the creature laughed. "This is my game," he said. "I control the pieces. What is a pregnant half breed and a chained up vampire going to do?"

Before Hoseok even realized what was happened, Nari had sucked her packet dry and flew across the room. She slammed the creature into the wall, her hands held tightly around his throat. She growled.

"I can do a lot of things," she sneered.

"You're nothing," the creature said unfazed. "You were born a human. You don't know the extent of what you are capable of."

She squeezed tighter, and she felt the skin begin to crinkled and break beneath her hold. The blood that seeped onto her hands burned, but she paid it no mind. "I was born for this," she said. "While you are out getting petty revenge, I'm planning a war. There are worse things in these worlds besides whatever the Jung clan did. You want to talk revenge?" She inched her face closer to his. "I've seen the love of my life destroyed by humans countless times. I see his future end, and all I want to do is rip every single human being apart.

My twin is in a constant state of fighting off whatever demons are inside him, and I want nothing more than to break down every single prophet and witch. But I don't. There will be time for that, but it's not my place to do those things." She was centimeters from his face then. "I hope whatever the Jung clan did is your worst memory. You've underestimated too many of us. I hope this destroys your mind. I don't give a fuck about who or what you are anymore."

The creature began screaming then as he held tightly to his arms and then his face. Nari left him on the ground, and she walked back to Hoseok who was staring horrified at her.

"I remember. I remember his screams."

——

Namjoon shook Jungkook awake for the eighth time in the last two hours. "Stop," he said. He sounded completely defeated. "Nari won't go to sleep. She won't let her guard down like that."

"I left her," Jungkook mumbled. "I left her with that thing." He groaned and placed his head in his hands.

"We all left her and Hoseok. It wasn't just you." Namjoon placed a hand on Jungkook's shoulder. "We need to focus. The prophets are coming, and we need to be prepared. They cannot know of the baby."

"Excuse me, Namjoon, if my priorities currently lie in your sister," Jungkook spat out. He stood up then and began pacing the room.

The other vampires sat wordlessly. They simply watched every interaction between Namjoon and Jungkook. Everyone knew Jungkook wasn't actually angry at Namjoon, just himself.

Eunjin was curled in the corner of the room between Taehyung and Yoongi. Her arm was across Yoongi's lap in order to reach Jin's hand. She chewed on her bottom lip in fear.

"They will be fine," Jin reassured softly.

"I should have killed it myself," Eunjin responded.

"Nari is stronger than it," Taehyung assured her then. "Jina gave her blood. Nari can get them out."

"What have we done?" Yoongi asked. "Why did we leave?"

A/N: I'm sorry it's taking so long to get these chapters out. I'm working on it, I swear. I would love it if you guys gave me a follow so we can keep in touch. I want to start getting to know my readers, plus you will see updates on my progress with not only this book, but book 3 of this series and other books I'm working on as well. I love you all ❤️❤️

-B