Chapter 21

It was quiet for once. Hoseok had drawn out Yoongi from his room so he could put Nari to sleep, and Jungkook simply sat and watched her. He wondered about how much stress she was under, and he rubbed gently at her stomach as if that small bit of comfort could smooth some of the stress away.

It wouldn't, but it was all he had to offer her. He didn't know what specifically she saw, and he didn't want to ask her.

"Nari, what is happening to us?" He whispered to the darkness.

Jeon Jungkook was a man that enjoyed many things. He enjoyed running, fighting, torturing, killing, and especially wars. But this... this war terrified him.

He decided that he would try and find Namjoon assuming Namjoon was sleeping. Jungkook closed his eyes and walked the familiar paths of the darkness, and then he was standing in a manor.

Jungkook barely recognized the place, but he knew it was Namjoon's manor before his clan was wiped out.

"Namjoon!" He yelled out, and he was surprised when a figure stepped out from the darkness.

Namjoon was crying, and Jungkook frowned at that. "Namjoon, what the hell is going on?"

"I'm a monster, Jungkook." A sob ripped out of Namjoon's throat. He slowly crumpled to his knees, and the manor around them shifted into dusty old dilapidation.

Jungkook's frown deepened. "We all are. Deal with it."

"What?" Namjoon looked at Jungkook incredulously. Deal with it? How was he supposed to just deal with it.

"You heard me. Stand up, and tell me how to get you out of the city." Jungkook waited for Namjoon to stand, and once he finally was, Jungkook nodded at him to start explaining.

"I tricked her. She was my leverage, but I couldn't tell her anything I was planning. She hates me now, Jungkook." Namjoon's words were fast, and it took Jungkook a moment to process everything. "The stunners they are using now are more powerful than before. She's weaker than a human, and I'm barely hanging on to what little strength I have left."

"We know about the stunners," Jungkook interjected. "Tell me what your fucking plan is, Joon. Your sister is devastated. She went looking for you, and she saw something happening to Sungjung. You better have a good explanation."

Namjoon started crying again. "She saw? Nari saw, so she knows I'm a monster!"

"Shut up about being a monster!" After Jungkook's shout, the only sounds around them were the sounds of crumbling walls. Idly, Jungkook realize that the manor had always represented how Namjoon was feeling, and he vaguely remembered the chaos of the manor when he had first arrived all those centuries ago.

And now here he was standing in the middle of the broken disgust all over again looking at a broken half breed who feared he was a monster.

Jungkook let out a small laugh. "We all do terrible things, Namjoon. None of us are pure."

"But Nari-"

"Not even Nari." Jungkook shook his head and crouched down to be eye level with Namjoon. "What was your plan, and how do I get the two of you out of the city?"

It took a few moments, but Namjoon finally managed to get his words out. "The Phoenix is going to take over each land with the use of your daughter, and this is a time when we need the prophets. But I planned to get inside as a prisoner along with Sungjung. We were to wait, and once the prophets aided in destroying the Phoenix, I would destroy the city."

Jungkook nodded at this. "And the stunners are where your plan backfired. Also, what was the point of using Sungjung?"

"Leverage."