Chapter 18

Kwangsun was a rather timid vampire. He didn't go out much unless he was asked to, and he didn't talk much either. But he was damn loyal, and his first instinct was to shield Hoseok from the phoenix.

Kwangsun watched, though, as the phoenix shot his hand forward as if he wasn't even there. He didn't even feel it happen when the phoenix's arm shot completely through his abdomen, but he did see the streak of gold like permeate the room.

Is that what happened when you died?

It wasn't. His eyes were going in and out of focus, but he did see Nari rushing forward. Her eyes were a fiery red and blazing gold, and he did notice the phoenix fly back into her outstretched hand.

Kwangsun considered every moment that lead him to that point, and he knew then that he had made the correct choice in following Jina and Hoseok out of the Park Manor. He was part of the Jeon clan, and he would gladly follow Jungkook and Nari if he managed to make it out of the land of the phoenix alive.

The muffled voice of Sam barely registered in his head. Nari was there; they'd make it out. Kwangsun just wanted to close his eyes for a little bit, and so he did.

----

Nari was too late. She should have just popped in, drank some blood, ignored Seokjin, and made it back to save the others. But she didn't do that. Instead, she had to return to see Kwangsun slumping backward, and the phoenix's hand was covered in blood. The gaping hole in Kwangsun's chest told her everything, and she started losing control.

She saw the panicked look on Hoseok's face, and she heard the shouts from Sam for his brother to stay awake. She didn't acknowledge them though; she simply stretched her hand out, and the phoenix was coming towards her. She caught him easily like he weighed nothing, and she turned as if to pass him off to Jungkook, but he wasn't there to do her dirty work.

"How depressing," she muttered. She cocked her head to the side, and she smiled a wicked smile that Hoseok had not seen from her.

He couldn't decide who was scarier, Eunjin or Nari.

"Is your worst memory even the one where Hoseok destroyed you?" she asked coyly. The phoenix didn't move in her grasp, but she didn't mind. Her desire wasn't for the fight, only for the destruction of his life.

"Tell me, Phoenix, what your worst memory is." Her voice became completely flat. Her control was completely gone. Her grip tightened on his neck, and blood oozed through the creases of her fingers.

But the creature laughed as he underestimated Nari. Last time she tried to hurt him, she was still in control. He didn't know just how powerful she was, but it started to sink in the same way her fingers sunk deeper in the cracks of his skin.

It started to make sense when he felt a sharp tug in his mind, and everything fell into place when he saw, not Jung Hoseok as a small boy, but the head prophet Darian capturing him and giving him to the Jung clan as a special gift.

He was surprised that his capture itself was the worst memory he ever had and not his captivity and brutal torture.

The memory repeated itself over and over again, and the suffering felt even greater than the first time it happened. Was this what she had tried to do to him the first time?

He knew it would take time to get out of this trap she placed on his mind. They would escape, but he would come for them. There would be worse than hell to pay.

——

"This is fun, isn't it?" Jungkook was dancing around Aeri as she did her best to hit him.