Chapter 40 | Subsiding?

Joel's POV

I should still be angry.

Hell. I AM still angry.

Yet as soon as her name pops up on my phone screen with the call notification I felt that anger subside and be replaced with...

What I can only describe as euphoria.

An uncontrollable and immediate happiness that was so overwhelming I felt as if my heart would give out.

It was so sudden I though I was having a heart attack.

My fingers were shaking as I answered it, pressing it to my ear and trying to control my erratic breathing.

I open my mouth to start speaking but I'm immediately cut off.

"Joel??" She says frantically.

Panic takes over me at her erratic and unnatural tone.

Was something wrong?

Was it Sebastian?

I'm going to kill that son of a bitch.

"Lizzie?? What's happening? Are you hurt?" I manage to string together a sentence, ignoring my heart having a full on rave in my chest.

"No no. I'm fine."

I calm slightly at this.

Listen I know we had a fight, and we can talk about it later, but I'm coming back home, and I need to ask you a favour."

Warmth flows through me, and for a second, if only for a second, I could believe we were back, back to where we were before all this happened, in our own blissful, albeit padded with lies, world, where everything seemed peachy and nothing could go wrong.

I think over her question for a second, only for a second, not out of hesitation, but because I was trying to save this feeling, feeling of peace.

"When's your flight?" I get out, trying to sound as if my mind wasn't self combusting.

Why am I like this??

I should be angry, I should be so angry.

But after our fight, I've been so worried I want nothing more then to just hug her, and protect her from all of this.

"um well- I- you see."

Ahhh, she hasn't thought this through has she.

"I haven't really thought this through, so I haven't booked one yet, but I'll try and get one for tomorrow."

Called it.

I almost laugh, scolding myself afterwards.

This is not the time.

"Text me your details and I'll pick you up."

"Joel."

Just the sound of her saying my name is enough to make me want to cry.

"Yeah?" I'm surprised I'm still managing to string together my sentences.

"Thank you. For believing in me."

"I'll always believe in you."

That doesn't even begin to cover everything I want to say right now, but I hold it back.

It can wait.

"What was that favour you needed to ask me?" I remember.

"Right that. I need you to ask Thea something for me. I know this is all crazy, and I know what she's said about the whole thing, but I think she knows more than she realises."