Chapter 47 | One moment?

TW// Gun violence, semi graphic descriptions

My feet tap anxiously on the metal bleachers, eyes flickering across the field.

Graduation.

If it was any other situation right now I'd be ecstatic, graduating from school! Moving on with my life, becoming an adult!

But instead?

I was knee deep in a situation that had left people dead.

And right now, this very moment.

This will be the end of it all.

What that end is, well the jury's still out.

Either Jessie's plan with work, or I'll end up dead.

Either way, it'll be the end.

I'm not sure which one I'd rather at this point.

But what pushes me on, is that no matter what, this will all be over.

Just had to get through the ceremony first.

I try my best to be as supportive as possible, pushing away the nagging sadness that I'm not there with them.

I cheer, take pictures, and make faces from the crowd.

As if I wasn't in less than half an hour going to be facing off with a bunch of murders and criminals.

The whole thing felt surreal, the last few days had been insane.

We'd spent ages researching, snooping, internet deep diving, hacking to get one number.

Only one.

It had been much easier than we were making it out to be however, purely since none of our efforts panned out, but then when I stepped out for a breather, I found a post it on the door with a number on it.

The call had been chilling.

A stony deep voice that carried more weight then a simple voice ever should.

But what mattered, is that so far, it was all going well.

I tried to revel in it, revel in this fleeting moment of peace.

I had no idea what was going to happen today, or whether this scheme was even going to work.

I had to have faith.

From my seat on the bleachers I shuffle my foot, lightly kicking the briefcase with my toe, just to make sure it was still there and I wasn't dreaming.

The ceremony starts to close up and I feel my anxieties running even higher than before, if that was even possible.

I need to calm down before I pass out.

Everything would be ruined if I pass out.

Yet trying to pep talk myself in my head was really not working.

"Lizzie."

A gasp of relief escapes my lips and I turn around to accept his gentle embrace.

"How're you feeling?" He kisses my head.

"Not the best." I joke, trying to sound sane.

"You're so brave, I know you can do this."

I try and tell myself the same thing, I try and repeat it, hoping that if I say it enough it'll be willed into reality.

I pull away slightly, checking the time and knowing it's time to get moving.

The grad ceremony is over, and people are starting to move away, so I needed to make this quick.